Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

631 no spark

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Larharm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:12 am    Post subject: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

no spark have replaced points and set at 0.25
replaced the condenser. hot wired the switch nothing helps. check volt on wire to coil nothing
traced the wire from coil back and it goes to the solenoid then up to junction box then to switch.
should the wire go directly from coil to switch?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:38 am    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

6 or 12 volts?? How it is wired can be different on them. I make my own wiring set ups and I always hook the coil wire to the ignition switch the side that if hot when turned on

Larharm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it is 6v and like i mentioned the wire from the coil goes to the solenoid looks like it was wired this way original . would it word to cut the wire and go directly to the switch?

Larharm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i hope this helps it is a four post solenoid 2big and 2small. starter works ok

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:55 am    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That if it has the safety switch is not the correct solenoid but yes I have one on my 841 but it does not have a working safety switch on it

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:01 am    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It should go to the switch but the solenoid you have is not correct for that tractor from what I understand

Larharm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:16 am    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if it goes to the switch would it need to be cut down 6v to 3v to protect the coil

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:38 am    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No a 631 has the round can coil and it works on 6 volts. Now if you had a front mount type distributor like on the N series ford yes you would need that but the 601 series has the side mount distributor so no ballast resister needed unless you switch it to 12 volts

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:30 am    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larharm wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:12:49 10/06/12) no spark have replaced points and set at 0.25 replaced the condenser. hot wired the switch nothing helps. check volt on wire to coil nothing
traced the wire from coil back and it goes to the solenoid then up to junction box then to switch. should the wire go directly from coil to switch?

Was that a typo? Points gap is supposed to be .025, not 0.25.

Larharm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

that was a typo

Larharm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

the solenoid was on the tractor when i got it so don't know, but according to n'complete catalog
it shows 1958-1964 which i think the 631 is solenoid for 6v 4post i guess they mean 2small 2 big

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

switch to coil... only thing that might be inbetween is a resistor

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could well be that the 4 post is correct not 100% sure but either way the ignition wire should go to the switch

awhtx
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 631 no spark Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your 631 should have a junction block on the steering column and the coil wire should be connected to the switched side of that. The 4 post relay is correct for a 631 and connecting the coil wire to the small post that is connected to the key switch will also work just fine. You only want power to the coil when the key switch is ON.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.