Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

diesel tractor not running good UPDATE

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JOHN in PENNSYLVANIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: diesel tractor not running good UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First of all thank you everyone for their input I really appreciate all the help. Here is the situation currently. It was actually a little hard to start this morning not like normal. I removed the air hose on the intake manifold so there's no restrictions it feels to be drawing in nicely. I remove the valve cover started the engine. All valves seem to be working fine moving freely and plenty of oil pumping. I cracked all the lines to each injector one at a time. The RPM dropped on every injector allowed to leak fuel. It seems too be idling smooth and up to 1200 RPM runs smooth. There's very little smoke at idle but when you open the throttle wide it's coal black. For anyone new looking at this post it's an international 364 diesel tractor. With a Bd 154 engine and a CAV injection pump. Only 1200 hours on the hour meter.

JOHN in PENNSYLVANIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:50 am    Post subject: Re: diesel tractor not running good UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Forgot to mention I'm in the shop right now so if there is something you want me to check or try please let me know

CAROGATOR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:27 am    Post subject: Re: diesel tractor not running good UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You moght want to check that your tank vent is open and not plugged.

JimB2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:35 am    Post subject: Re: diesel tractor not running good UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi John, run it up to where it is smoking badly and pull the shut off lever out a little and see if the smoke stops?

I have a Perkins Diesel engine trouble shooting guide and a DPA CAV rotary injection pump test instructions guide in pdf format.
If you email at clarabrownlee@rogers.com, I can email them to you.

JimB

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: diesel tractor not running good UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The black smoke indicates one of several things.

1. Air restriction giving a rich fuel air mixture.

2. Pump/injector problem, feeding too much fuel, making a rich fuel air mixture.

3. Engine problem giving a poor burn. Low compression, bad timing ECT.

So from what you have done so far, check valve clearances seeing as how the cover is off. Then check injector timing by the book. Check and make sure the fuel return line isn't plugged. That can cause the pump to make to much pressure and cause a rich fuel mix problem.

Once al of that is done if you still have a problem it amy be time to pull the pump and injectors and have them tested. Doing a compression test would be in order too.

Rick

JOHN in PENNSYLVANIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: diesel tractor not running good UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When i rev it up....black smoke until it reaches its RPM. The the smoke is vert little. If i pull the shut off part way out i have no throttle response. I will email you....thanks

JOHN in PENNSYLVANIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:00 am    Post subject: Re: diesel tractor not running good UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will check the timing and valves

JOHN in PENNSYLVANIA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: diesel tractor not running good UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tried to email you....did not go. My email is jwmirz@aol.com

JimB2
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:50 am    Post subject: Re: diesel tractor not running good UPDATE Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi John,

I got delayed but emailed the two pdf docs to you about 20 minutes ago.

JimB

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.