Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Someone please tell me I'm not the only one.....

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Clint Skarovsky
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I had a mixed bag last weekend. I got my 13 yr old to tractor pull for the first time on my recently purchased '51 JD A and he loved it. The bad - while the tractor was idling at the pull it dropped a valve. The results are almost the worst possible - broke the valve, damaged the guide, ruined the seat, broken valvespring and I've got a nasty little divot in the cylinder wall.
So I'm about to bore it .125", fix the head, and put it back together. I just bought the tractor for $1200 and now I'm going to spend $1200 on it to get it going again...........damn hot rodding. Someone please tell me that I'm normal. Thanks

Ray Tellin

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:27 am    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Welcome to pulling!

Clint Skarovsky
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:35 am    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I know but it's the reason that I've been doing the antique pulling instead of drag racing - nothing is supposed to break if treated properly. Oh well, bigger, stronger, faster.

emtiv1099
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That stuff happens but it's all apart of it. Just be glad you it didn't get the whole engine along with the head.

BenAlbert
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Already bought my son a tractor, and he's only 7. Worst part is his sister is making like she wants one too. Thats gonna take another tractor, and a bigger truck and trailer. There's no way I'm just going to be pit crew and let them run mine! At least I have some time to worry about it.

north puller
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That problem was going to surface no mater what you are doing. Its not your fault or pulling's fault.

Ever been plowing along at a good clip and hooked a boulder?

Ever stuffed a big waud in a silo blower or a snow blower and killed her dead?

Ever had a wagon overloaded push you down a hill and wind the motor up a little faster than it should?

Ever tried to show off and pull a plow to big or too fast and beat the sh!t out of your tractor.

Point is, farming can be and often is harder on a tractor than pulling.

I would say that if the motor is within 150% of factory horsepower, and within 120% of factory rpm, and all in good mechanical repair, you can pull all day long and not hurt anything.

Good luck and don't give up.

mark us
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i think i detected your problem in the last part your fist sentence

mm585
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thats tractor pulling!!!!Aint it great???Always remember golf clubs arent cheap eather, and they dont even make any noise!!

Clint Skarovsky
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks guys, I just needed to feel better....the bad thing is if it was my '45 A with a power block (which I over-rev regularly) I wouldn't have been that surprised and may have just parted out the tractor. This is my bone-stock puller for the kids...oh well, I'll keep everyone posted when I actually put it back together. I've got to pull the block in the coming days for its sleeve project.

mightymolinekid
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 1:47 pm    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nope it happens. Last year I put together a brand new engine, got it broke in, hooked twice and took it to a dyno. There we seized it tight, scoring 2 pistons and spun the rear main bearing. I waited 10 months and had to raise the roof at the machine shop for a boat anchor. He tells me bring it back they messed up. Waited another 5 months got it this spring, put together, got it running only to find they installed the wrong front cam bushing. I lose oil to my front valves when it gets to temperature. Both times I got the engine back from them complete, all I had to do was proper torque on the heads and do the light assembly, valve train, etc. So....it happens.......

mm fan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:53 am    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Clint,

I've got a power block that will go in that A, with the pistons. I can bring it to Cuero this weekend. My email's open

730-LP
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: Someone please tell me I'm not the only one..... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Bore it .0125 over and put a set of standard bore G pistons in it,with a good head it will make 60 HP.I have a new set of G pistons that has been machined for a power block,if you are interested my e-mail is open

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.