Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

electric fence lights??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dave2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 10:37 am    Post subject: electric fence lights?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Anyone use them? I've only seen them in catalogs and don't really understand how they work. Just hang them on and they flash with the fence pulse? Are they reliable or just a gimmick to separate you from some bucks???

Thanks...

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:20 am    Post subject: Re: electric fence lights?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've never heard of them but years ago I saw in a catalog where you could get bulbs to place on a CB antenna and they would lite up when transmitting. Then one time by accident I was holding a portable 2-way radio and a 12 volt test lite in the same hand with the cord all wound up then keyed the radio up to talk and the test lite lit up.

BCnT
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:26 am    Post subject: Re: electric fence lights?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if youre talking about a test lite,i've had one for years...has a ground lead with a spike and a loop for hot wire...works great...you just use it to check fence tho...cant see it from any distance...think i gave 3 bux for mine 20 years ago...beats p n on fence to test.

dave2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:54 am    Post subject: Re: electric fence lights?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just looked at one again... Thought they were so that you could see that the fence was working from a distance, but they are a warning light for when the fence voltage gets low... Guess that would still serve the purpose??? Not worth 25 bucks to me tho.....

Red Mud
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fence lights?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do a search for "Greenlee Gt-11" I've used one for years, got it at Home Depot.

larry@stinescorners
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:20 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fence lights?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dave ,you forgot to post your tractor,, Its I day

Rich_WI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:46 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fence lights?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dave2 wrote:
(quoted from post at 13:37:49 10/06/12) Anyone use them? I've only seen them in catalogs and don't really understand how they work. Just hang them on and they flash with the fence pulse? Are they reliable or just a gimmick to separate you from some bucks???

Thanks...

A standard fluorescent bulb will flash like you are talking about. I tried a 4 foot one, wrapped a wire around the terminals on one end and kinda stabbed the other end into the ground. It flashed but it would need to be dark to see it at any distance.

I was going to make a bracket and mount it at the far end of the pasture so I would be able to see at night if the fence is going but decided against it. No sense letting the whole neighborhood know when the fence is off or incase anybody calls in some strange light.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:01 pm    Post subject: Re: electric fence lights?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had a fence alert from Kencove fencing in Pa. for years. It just hangs on a hot wire. If the fencer quits working, it starts flashing and will continueto flash until the fencer is workng again. Handy little gadget. The only trouble I've had with it is that the contacts will corrode from time to time and need to be cleaned up some.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.