Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Eleven words...

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:18 pm    Post subject: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"Congratulations! You have been accepted at Hobart Institute of Welding Technology."

Okay, so their grammar's not perfect, but I start school there right after Thanksgiving. I'm kind of looking forward to it, but im mostly looking forward to being done with it... I've been dreaming about being done with school since I was in about sixth grade... My 14 years of school had their high points, but overall it was a hellish experience I'd never wish on anybody... Needless to say, I didn't really like school, or most of the schools I went to, but I figure I can handle nine months of pipe and structural welding since its actually something I *want* to do. lol.

I don't really know what to expect, but I bet it'll be interesting... The Hobart School offers two shifts of classes... One starts at (I believe) 8am and runs until 3 or 3:30 or so like a regular high school, and the second runs from 4pm until like 1am or somewhere around there. I have no problem getting up and getting places when I need/want to be there, but overall, I'm defiantly NOT a morning person, so I signed up to go there second shift. This actually IS something I'm very happy about.

Overall tho, Im not sure how I feel about all this. I really don't want more school... For anything... But I sure as hell don't want to hang around here forever and I know its gonna be kinda hard to run the welding business I will eventually have without all the training I can get. I feel like I do know a lot, but theres still a ton that I need to learn, especially with pipe, tig, and flux-core. I know this is going to be a big step towards moving on with my life and finally starting to be able to do things myself, my own way, and for myself, so I'm all for it.

When I was little(r), I used to work for some dishonest farmers around here... I guess that was probably a huge turnoff for me... As well as the whole "apprenticeship" thing from a year or so ago, but the good that came from all that was that I've decided that I really want to work for myself. I get that having a steady paycheck is a wonderful thing, but still, working for someone else just isnt something that appeals to me. I'd be much more satisfied working for myself and although life is a heck of a rollarcoaster, thats where I will end up.

Long story short, I guess I'm gonna be back to school here in a month and a half or so, and from there to some sort of business education, and from there, eventually, out of Ohio and most likely to somewhere in Texas.

Just a little update I thought I'd share, and thanks to everybody who offered advice about this whole edumacation thing... You guys are great, and having seen both schools, I'm not regretting choosing the Hobart school at all. Wish me luck! Smile

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well you're off and running!

Look out big bucks, here comes Lanse! Cool

RayP(MI)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congrats, good luck. But then, you're taking a bunch of skills with you already.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congrats!!!!! Should be better than the other 14 years, people got a different focus now than they did back then.

--->Paul

Kow Farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congratulations Lanse! You will do great there, I'm sure. By the videos you post, you might even teach the school something. LOL Anyway, best of luck to you in your endeavors.
Kow Farmer

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 4:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lanse the bad thing about being a weldor. You have to prove yourself all the time. In a lot of situations every weld you make has your paycheck attached to it. Too many bad welds, and you're kicking rocks out to the parking lot. My advice to you, is don't go to this school with the idea when you graduate people are going to be knocking on your door to hire you just because you have a piece of paper from the Hobart Institute of Welding Technology! Go at this with the idea you're going to learn everything you possibly can! Go in there thinking you know nothing, and you want to learn everything you can.

But right about now you should have an idea of what type of welding you want to do. Fab shop, ship yard, construction, etc, etc. If not, you really need to come up with a plan!

I wish you all the luck in the world! Wink

MarkWV
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am sure you will learn there, take it all in, ask questions. Your future is in your hands, make to most of the opportunity,congrats!!

Ted in Ne-OH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congratulations. Learn everything you can, you paid for it. Volunteer for extra experiences if offered.

redtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 6:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Like you, I too hated K-12 school. I endured lots of bullying and to try to fit in wasted most of high schooling. Going off to college for Heavy equip repair and diesel training was great! For the first time no one judged me by where I lived or who my parents were. They didn't know if i was rich or poor. And most of us were there to learn as much as we could, he11 we paid for the schooling. It was my "fresh start". After 25 yrs of being someones "lackey" I only wish I would have started my own business. After all, not everyone is cut out to work for someone. I mentioned to you before, my neighbor who started out doing tinwork in his own shop and demand has developed him into a top notch welding repair shop. A modern day blacksmith doing lots of farm repair for big time farmers. He has his own shop, sets his own hours, and is literally swamped with work. All in an economically depressed area. By all observations this guy has it made. So, I wish you luck!

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 8:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congrats on being accepted!!!

Lanse you should be going to the Hobart school
because you want to learn as much as possible
about your career choice. That is the BIG
difference between going to a technical school,
college, university, etc. and regular school like
high school where you don't have a choice. I would
guess that 99% of the other students are going
there because they want to as well.

I agree with Puddles that you need to go in
thinking you know nothing about welding. You
"don't know what to expect"? Expect to get
bombarded with new information and do more welding
in a week than you've done in two month's! You'll
get a lot of theory as well. You're typical of a
first year apprentice thinking you know a lot
about welding. I don't mean that as an insult. In
reality if you took all the knowledge from the
experienced welders on this forum and added it all
together... it would only make up a small
percentage of the vast world of welding. There is
nobody who knows everything there is to know about
welding. New technologies and processes are being
developed all the time. The good welders will try
to learn as much as possible. Some of the old
school guys are set in their ways and don't like
change.

While it is your dream to have your own shop, you
need to get some experience out in the real world
working for someone else. I think going to the
Hobart school will be a big plus to help you
decide what type of welding you might like to
focus on. You may not be able to go in that
specific direction right off the bat though. An
example would be welding cross country pipelines
where the big money is. You don't just come out of
school and get hired on to do critical x-ray
welding. Maybe you'd like to run your own welding
truck and do a variety of different jobs. Maybe
you'll find it's easier working in a shop where
all you need to worry about is doing your job and
going home at the end of the day. Running a
business can be a real PIA sometimes.

I think you'll do fantastic at the Hobart school
if you go in with a positive attitude and show
them that you want to learn everything you can
about welding. Keep us informed cause we're all
rootin' for ya!!! I'm still thinking you'll be on
the cover of Welding Journal in the near future
being presented with the AWS welder of the year
award.

Curtsat15
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 06, 2012 9:50 pm    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Congrats Lanse! As redtom said, you will find a tech school to be much different than k-12. The people there WANT to be there, and for the right reasons. Have a great time and LEARN! All the best to you!

VernMI

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:25 am    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

"I'm defiantly NOT a morning person"

Not sure you meant "DEFIANTLY" but I guess it could work.

Wile E
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 2:31 am    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You arent a morning person.
Well, you will have to be to work in the real world. Learning welding is good, but you will need to learn other metal working trades like, forming, machining, heat treat, a little metallurgy to be a good employee in this field.

DownSouth
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Wow, that's wonderful. And you don't have to find a place to stay while in school either since Troy isn't very far from home for you. Sounds like your going to need a vehicle with 4 wheels and a roof, somehow I don't think that motorcycle will be the best thing for transportation in the Ohio winter!

Ron in NS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: Re: Eleven words... Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's lots of companies in ND just crying for welders, and even if you only have a couple of tickets, they'll keep you round long enough to see if you're worth investing in, and help you get the rest of the tickets that they need. Only drawback, accomodations are hard to find, and expensive. But you'll get real world experience, and learn on site tricks from some of the best. Did I mention, it gets cold in ND?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.