Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

UPDATE JD 240 turns over hard and will not start

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jack in Michigan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:14 am    Post subject: UPDATE JD 240 turns over hard and will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all who posted. With your help I was able to go in the right direction. I pulled the engine housing off and found a big mouse nest. It was packed in there so tight that it was causing some drag on the flywheel. It was also packed tight under the flywheel as well. I cleaned that all up, but it still did the same thing. Next I pulled the valve cover off and found that the push rod was not in its proper location. The push rod looked like someone had taken a hammer smashed only one end of the just the aluminum part of the push rod. It was about and 1/8 shorter than the new one I purchased. The very metal ends of the push rod looked ok. I suspect that when the mouse nest was still under the engine housing, it caused the engine to heat up to the point of seizing the engine to some degree and this caused the push rod problem. To finish up I cleaned everything up, purchased a new push rod, reassembled everything, set the valve clearance and she runs great. Again thanks to all who posted, these suggestions do help in the trouble shooting process. Jack

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:34 am    Post subject: Re: UPDATE JD 240 turns over hard and will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had that problem on my Wards tractor several years ago when I was plowing the garden. I found a mice nest packed around the flywheel area. I pulled the head and a piece of sheetmetal. I used a piece of wire to snake out a lot of the material. I used a vacuum cleaner too, but using air pressure was probably the best. I have a picture of that somewhere on the computer. I don't leave any cleaning rags out anymore where mice or chipmunks can get to them
in my mini barn. Hal

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:03 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE JD 240 turns over hard and will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I finally found that mouse nest pic. Hal

Jack in Michigan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:19 pm    Post subject: Re: UPDATE JD 240 turns over hard and will not start Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great Visual El Toro, Those mice can do alot of damage. Thanks for sharing. Jack

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.