Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M5 with same issues

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Steve Fawks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:32 am    Post subject: M5 with same issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cleaned the fuel tank, new sediment bulb assembly, new fuel line and after one lap around the shed at good speed, it sputters and I have to put in the clutch and let off the throttle. Carb was kitted, but not by me.

The intake above the carb is frosting up in 50 degree weather.

Any ideas?

BTW, what is that contraption beneath the carb that the linkage connects to?

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:49 am    Post subject: Re: M5 with same issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have you checked the spark plug wires? From what Ive been told the silicone ones dont work well under load. I had that problem on my M670 being the wires that the previous owner had on and, along with a bad coil. The governor is what is under the carburetor. Mine ran decent at idle but then started to miss at about 1200 RPM.

r aiken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:56 am    Post subject: Re: M5 with same issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As for your carb frosting, that is normal when the temp. and humity is rite. When a liquid (gas) is vaperized it gets colder.
The contraption is the govener. It mantains the proper engine speed.

r aiken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:01 am    Post subject: Re: M5 with same issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Most older tractors, you have to run with the choke pulled out a little untill warmed up.

Steve Fawks
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:07 pm    Post subject: Re: M5 with same issues Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for all the advice, but I think my son-in-law clued me onto the solution. He said that he had an 8N acting like that a few years ago and it turned out to be an issue with the air intake/cleaner.

I figured that would be easy to test by disconnecting the intake hose from the carb, clamping some fabric over the carb, and seeing how it ran. It ran circles around the barn until I was tired of running circles around the barn!

OK, fuel, fire, and AIR! Last thing that I expected to look for, but that did it.

Ready to tear up the farm when I get it all cleaned up. Very Happy

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.