Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Flywheel

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Deerepower53

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Flywheel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put a new taper loc flywheel on my john deere 70 and ran it at the house with no problems.Went to the pull got it off the trailer and the fly wheel came loss. Has anyone had trouble keeping these fly wheels tight and if so how did you fix the problem? Thanks

WI Walkin Boss
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:35 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lock washers and permanent strength locktite

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:47 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you install the taper-loc as per the directions?
Never heard tell of a taper-loc coming loose when properly installed. In fact they are a real chore to remove as they get stuck on so tight.
If you just tightened the large jam nut once then drove away. Then yes the taper-loc will come loose.

Deerepower53

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It came with directions and I read them and done as it said. Maybe its my luck.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:45 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

???
Ok tell us exactly what you did to install the taper-loc.

Deerepower53

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:51 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I cleaned the crank of oil and put the taper loc on and got my end play right then put the fly wheel on put the nut on. Then started bumping it with the sledge hammer then tighting it over and over.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:14 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hmmmmmm.......Will have to bump and tighen it more.
How many lb ft of torque on the nut?

Deerepower53

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 11:29 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I took the fly wheel off and I'm going to start again. Not sure the lbs I used a big pipe wrench to tighten it.

Rwolfejr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:13 am    Post subject: Re: Flywheel Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deerepower53 wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:29:57 10/07/12) I took the fly wheel off and I'm going to start again. Not sure the lbs I used a big pipe wrench to tighten it.

Something that might help you with this...
If the instructions tell you how much to tighten the nut to in ft/lbs. you can easily get close to proper torque without a torque wrench on the larger stuff. Take your pipe wrench and stick a piece of tube over the handle for a cheater bar.

Then let's suppose they tell you that the nut needs to be tightened to 300 ft./lbs. and lets's say you weigh 200 lbs? When you tighten the thing up you want to grab the cheater bar at 1-1/2 feet from the centerline of the nut and hang your 200 lb. self off the bar and you'll have 300 ft.lbs. of torque give or take... on your nut. Or take a 100 lb. wheel weight and hang it 3 foot from the nut center = 300 foot pounds. Or 50 pound weight 6 foot out on your cheater bar = 300 ft./lbs.

Foot pounds of Torque = how much weight multiplied by how many feet out.

If you don't have any burrs or boogers on the crank and put it on clean and torque to what it's suppose to be you'll be good.

Good Luck!
Bob

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.