Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

361 Ford question

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Erik Ks farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:43 pm    Post subject: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 361 in a 76 Ford cabover that I haul grain with, it started running rough under load on the last couple loads of corn I took in, I picked up a fuel pump, but I got to looking it over before I took the pump off. The #3 plug on the right bank was loose and the wire had melted to it. I pulled out the plug and the threads are a mess. I'm not sure what to do here, what would have caused the plug to work loose? Is it worth trying to thread a new plug in to get through bean harvest (86 acres)?

J.Wondergem
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Or put a heli coil in , then a new plug.

Ted in NE-OH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Re-tap and see if it holds

cole in mo.
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:55 pm    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Somtimes a plug will work loose, then the cumbustion blows past the threads, causing what you see on yours. Ease a new plug in it and go.

60 acre hillside
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 3:59 pm    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 18mm spark plug clean-up die they are available at most any parts house

Shorty 38
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, Heli-coil is the answere, I found the bushing type to work the best for spark plugs.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At one time I had a 390 in a '67 F 100 that would
rutinely "blow out" a plug(always the same
hole).Screw it back in and keep on
going.WARNING:wear gloves before screwing hot plug
back into engine.

Shorty 38
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes, Heli-coil is the answere, I found the bushing type to work the best for spark plugs.

BushogPapa
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:16 pm    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IF you get the idea to pull and replace the head...

The 361 and 391 He DO NOT interchange with the 352, 360 or 390 engines...
The Heat passages through the Heads are in a different place and will not match the Intake manifold..
You would need to replace the entire pair of Heads and the Intake, to use 352/360 or 390 Heads..
BTDT...

Ron..

Huskers86
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go to the auto parts store and get a thread chaser. It's a tap for straightning out plug holes. I've used that thing many times on buggered up plug threads and have had great results. I don't think you want a heli coil as I'm sure the plug seat is tapered.

Brian Jasper co. Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I"d try the thread chaser. For anything else Ford FE related, check out Ford FE dot com. If you want to replace the heads, I have a set plain 390 pickup heads still in the wrappers from a rebuilder and a cast iron S code 4V intake. Email me if interested.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:12 am    Post subject: Re: 361 Ford question Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try chasing the thread with a tap. If that doesn't tighten it up, use a Heli-Coil. That will work.

Rod

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.