Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Tires

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harvey9

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I need snow tires, I was in a tire shop the other day and the sidewall on this tire showed M + S, I realize this means mud and snow, Is this a snow tire or an All Season?

Thanks

oj
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 4:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

up here in the great white north, m&s tires aren't always snow rated... snow rated tires have a mountain and snowflake logo on the sidewall...

BigTone
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Look for the mountain snowflake symbol, I would recommend Cooper Discover M + S, best snow tires Ive ever known (I live in upstate ny)

jackinok
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

saw a deal in consumer reports bout tires a while back,according to them,a regular street tire is best for just snow because it sheds the snow instead of it packing in the tread. so called all terrain tires were worse.so called mud and snow tires helped in mud but were worse in snow. go figure.

marloweg

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Firestone winter force us them on my snowplow trucks

Ron in NS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's a snow tire.

ASEguy
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:43 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It is an all season tire. M+S is a tire catagory or designation which has grooves that have a 25% larger void to self clean and a softer rubber compound to flex more at lower temperatures to aid in self cleaning. They are not as aggressive as snow tires, but don't need to be with all the weight on the front wheel drive cars front axle. Gerard

Leroy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:25 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

never heard of that

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:38 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The same Consumer Reports that told us Audi's can magically speed up in reverse?

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mud and Snow.... so yeah, it's a snow tire. I run the Firestone WinterForce all year. They don't like summer heat so good... but I also need them for mud... They're far more agressive than any 'all season' type tire I've ever had.

Rod

Pitch
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:28 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

oj and Big Tone have it right,look for the mountain/snowflake symbol embossed on the sidewall.

Why would anyone put any stock in CR? I have never found a review done by the that is remotely accurate. Look at tire racks website,they publish actual tests over there.

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

try running street treads in the snow and see how far you get.True snow tires for me every time,with studs,even better.I live 20 miles from Buffalo NY. I should know about winter driving. Bill M.

bill mart
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

whats the Audi thing about? Bill

Mark - IN.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought four for my sisters Hyundai Santa Fe. She went from zero traction in the snow, to very stable, very good traction. Put them on after the first December snow fall, off first week of February. I have a 2001 Cherokee I bought a year ago, the barn Jeep that I'm going to do the same to this year as the winter daily driver beater.

Mark
Cooper Discoverer M S

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Tires Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Audi 5000

During model years 1982-1987, Audi issued a series of recalls of Audi 5000 models[21] associated with reported incidents of sudden unintended acceleration linked to six deaths and 700 accidents.[21] At the time, National Highway Traffic Safety Administration ( NHTSA) was investigating 50 car models from 20 manufacturers for sudden surges of power.[22]

60 Minutes aired a report titled "Out of Control" on November 23, 1986,[23] featuring interviews with six people who had sued Audi after reporting unintended acceleration, including footage of an Audi 5000 ostensibly displaying a surge of acceleration while the brake pedal was depressed.[24][25] Subsequent investigation revealed that 60 Minutes had not disclosed they had engineered the vehicle's behavior — fitting a canister of compressed air on the passenger-side floor, linked via a hose to a hole drilled into the transmission[23][24] — the arrangement executed by one of the experts who had testified on behalf of a plaintiff in a then pending lawsuit against Audi's parent company.[26]

Audi contended, prior to findings by outside investigators,[22] that the problems were caused by driver error, specifically pedal misapplication.[22] Subsequently, the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA) concluded that the majority of unintended acceleration cases, including all the ones that prompted the 60 Minutes report, were caused by driver error such as confusion of pedals.[27] CBS did not acknowledge the test results of involved government agencies, but did acknowledge the similar results of another study.[24]

With the series of recall campaigns, Audi made several modifications; the first adjusted the distance between the brake and accelerator pedal on automatic-transmission models.[21] Later repairs, of 250,000 cars dating back to 1978, added a device requiring the driver to press the brake pedal before shifting out of park.[21] As a byproduct of sudden unintended acceleration, vehicles now include gear stick patterns and brake interlock mechanisms to prevent inadvertent gear selection.

Audi’s U.S. sales, which had reached 74,061 in 1985, dropped to 12,283 in 1991 and remained level for three years.[21] — with resale values falling dramatically.[28] Audi subsequently offered increased warranty protection [28] and renamed the affected models — with the 5000 becoming the 100 and 200 in 1989.[22] The company only reached the same level of U.S. sales again by model year 2000.[21]

As of early 2010, a class-action lawsuit filed in 1987 by about 7,500 Audi 5000-model owners remains unsettled and is currently contested in county court in Chicago after appeals at the Illinois state and U.S. federal levels.[21] The plaintiffs in this lawsuit charge that on account of the sudden acceleration controversy, Audis had lost resale value.[24]

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.