Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Prarie Gold

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dave B from S.C. NE

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:40 pm    Post subject: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would a 1958 MM 445 be the same Prarie Gold and Red colors as 1940 MM tractors? Thanks.

Alan K
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 5:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe they are different Prairie Golds, not sure about the red. Someone will know more than me on the subject... Smile

tylerj

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The 445 would be prairie gold #2. Early 1940's MM's used prairie gold #1, while later 40's letter series tractors and the 335, 445 and 5 star tractors used prairie gold #2. the minneapolis-moline.com website has a nice page explaining what colors are correct for each tractor.

maj-mm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

corection to other post. NOT PG#2. Power Yellow. Power Yellow was used on 335, 445, 5 Star, 4, Star, Gvi, M5 Etc. It is more orangish than Prairie Gold.

http://jetstar.minneapolis-moline.com/paint_old.html
Untitled URL Link

rvirgil_KS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:43 am    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

445 would be Prairie Gold #2 with Cherry Red wheels

PG 3 was a darker, more "butterscotch" and began in 1959

Yellow began about 1963
Untitled URL Link

MMDEL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:08 am    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

[quote="maj-mm"](quoted from post at 04:54:11 10/08/12) corection to other post. NOT PG#2. Power Yellow. Power Yellow was used on 335, 445, 5 Star, 4, Star, Gvi, M5 Etc. It is more orangish than Prairie Gold.

I'm afraid this is NOT! correct!! Gvi and M5 are not the same color as the Constellation series. The Constellation series are as was stated before, PG 2. The Gvi and M5 were darker and then WHITE changed the color and the model numbers.
MMDEL

maj-mm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:16 am    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is INCORRECT! This list is in Error. There in NO paint called PG3. This is a great dispute amungst the MM Community. I have argued (upon deaf ears) with this color guide since it was published. Eventually it will be corrected, I hope.

1936 MM's were Yellow
1937 (ca.) to 1947 Prairie Gold #1.
1947 to ca. 1955 (letter Series) PG #2.
335, 445, 5-Star thru M5 & Gvi = Power Yellow
M602 newer (except Red & Green Tractors) = Energy Yellow (also known as Industrial Yellow)

There are also several shaved of "Red" used thru the years, from "Cherry Red" with a nice Purple tint to an almost Massey-Ferguson Red in mid 1950's to White Corporate "Sumac Red" used in 1960's & newer.

I grew up with 1 owner 1951 ZAS & 1957 335, thy ARE DIFFERENT Shades of paint. the 335 is the more Orange Power Yellow. I have read several References to these paint changes from MM, in my MM Product history Research. Eventually when Publishes it will cover this as well as much more.

maj-mm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: Prairie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have read in 445 Intoduction Papers, that the new series of tractors (some refer as constelation Series) were to be painted a new color, to be known as "Power Yellow" It is NOT Prairies Gold #2. PG2 was used from about 1948 thu the ZB, UB GB, etc. However, for Simplicity or error some MM Repair Catalogs continued to refer to Prairie Gold, even thru the White years in the 1960's. Hence so many MM's being repainted wrong colors in the 1960's & 1970's.

Also back then, MM bought Paint from various suppliers, so there were many "slight differences" in paint, but we as collectors & Historians must call them by their correct names, as to have the historical record documented correctly.

White changed to "Energy Yellow"

Dave from S.C. NE

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:49 pm    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone for all the Help. I have a Martin Senoir (Napa) paint guide. There is a Prarie gold and next to it says Orange. Very close in color. I take it the Orange than would be for my 445?

maj-mm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:18 pm    Post subject: Re: Prairie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I must correct White did NOT convert to Energy Yellow, that started with the Jet Star 2, prior to WMC takeover of Moline.

maj-mm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This color thing has been bugging me all day, so I've been doing more digging. Apparently, MM called it Power Yellow upon introduction of the POWER-Lined Series, but again started calling it Prairie Gold. Reference Jet Star & 4-Star Literature, Harvest Bronze & Prairie Gold are listed as colors, so this must be where Paint committie came up with PG#3. So apparently Power Yellow & Prairie gold (#3) can be called either interchangeably. Ref. Big Mo & MoTrac refer to "Highway Yellow". I will also add I have parts Manuals Reference in late 1960's to Prairie Gold, then it was "energy Yellow" so takes that fro what it's worth.

MMDEL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:42 am    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

maj-mm: I agree with you on everything except The M5 Gvi. I have had MM eguipment on the farm since 1939. And sold them from 1960. I swear the M5 and the Gvi are a darker more butterscoch color. As you say various names were given to them. The paint board gave them a 1,2,3 number to simplify things.
MMDEL

oleclint
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:34 am    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We have a 1939 " R" that is serial # 82. When restoring it , we found some lighter P G on the air cleaner bracket that is under the hood . No sun lite could of faded it. I am very sure that it is the original color. We worked around that bracket very carefully to save that spot of paint. After the new paint job dried , it is a little darker that the original P G. was.
I have been told by some 'old timers' that the early P G was lighter than what is seen on most of the M -M s. From what we have ,it seems to verifie that statement.
The 4 Star was the same shade of P G that the M 5 and G 6 was. clint

Ken in Illinois
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MM Del has it correct. As stated, M5 and GVI were a unique pair regarding color. Ken

maj-mm
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Prarie Gold Reply to specific post Reply with quote

we had 3 4-Stars, one Super. All three were different shades of Yellow. one matching the 335 as "power yellow" as I call it. One the Oranger Butterscotch like many M5's & Gvi's the 3rd, lighter like some G704's, but not as light as the Energy Yellow on M602.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Minneapolis Moline All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.