Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

rim width advice

View previous topic :: View next topic  
50JDA

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 6:28 pm    Post subject: rim width advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a set of 13" wide pressed steel wheels (never knew they made 13's til now) and I'm wanting to put a set of uncut bf goodrinch 15-5-38's on for tunica this time. Do y'all think these rims are wide enough

gtx1967jewison
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Re: rim width advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Absolutely, in my opinion

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:40 am    Post subject: Re: rim width advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe a inch narrow, but I would rather have them narrow than wide. I know this is contrary to majority opinion.

Brad Peters
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: rim width advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Vic, was wondering why you have this opinion?

VicST
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:59 pm    Post subject: Re: rim width advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think you have to use more air pressure to get the middle on the ground with a wider rim. Which shortens your footprint. But with a narrower rim you need less air pressure to put the middle on the ground, hence a longer footprint. But your draw-bar will go down more, losing leverage. I tend to like just what it says on the tire for rim width. They must have tested it a little to recommend something. Saying all of this last year I watched Cliff's, B Farmall win with little tires and a wide tread which should have pulled it sideways, and him sitting off to the side where he couldn't change the balance! A C should beat a B every time. So who knows. Smile Vic

ShaggyM

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:38 pm    Post subject: Re: rim width advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Farmall B is actually pretty easy to balance side to side

showdown
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:43 pm    Post subject: Re: rim width advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey Shaggy I am going to turn mine into a Super B, Gene sent me a short axle to narrow up me BN., not sure how it will go LOL///////

ShaggyM

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: rim width advice Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your going to put in a A stub axle?
Wants some AV rear wheels?

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.