Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Safety Wire... where do I get it?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dstates
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:01 pm    Post subject: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've got my belt pulley drive all back together after replacing the seal and it's almost ready to go back in the tractor. The only thing I need is some wire to safety the two bolts so they don't come loose. Does it need to be a special kind of wire? Any suggestions? Will Farm and Fleet have it?

By the way, I'll probably do it the aviation way by doing it as shown in the first picture of the diagram below.

Thanks!

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When I worked at a'diesel shop',we used to use
"mechanics tie wire".Local NAPA store carried
it.Came in a one pound roll.

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 7:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Electric fence wire works too. Airplane way is
the best way. Just make sure the wire is pulling
the heads tight.

rustred
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

there is stainless steel wire in rolls for that use also.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Electric fence wire, mechanic's wire from an Auto
Parts or industrial supply house, Stainless Steel
MIG wire or the appropriate aircraft wire from
someone like Aircraft Spruce

rhtx55
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 07, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

any aviation parts supply house or hangar has it.

johnpop1

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:22 am    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

McMaster Carr or MSC will both have.

cjd12000
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:56 am    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Avial will have it you want .032 stainless they have models
but there pricey safety wired a lot when I worked on helos
also snap on can get it

dstates
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:29 am    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, guys! Napa was out, but Carquest had some. I worked in the aviation industry for a while and we always called it safety wire, but the guys at the automotive stores knew it as 'mechanic's wire" like you said. Thanks for the tip.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:39 am    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The Air Force has a tool for twisting that wire
Makes a nice neat job. We always did it by hand. Hal

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:06 am    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mechanics wire is definitely not safety wire. Safety wire is not iron, mechanics wire is.
Safety wire is anealed stainless, or nickle alloy. it does not rust, and is soft but with a good tensile strength. I would not use mechanics wire. Jim

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FWIW, Harbor Freight sells spools of safety wire along with the twister tool. Gotta be better than a sharp stick in the eye.

Genos
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They taught us how to safety wire in B-47 school 55 years ago, i still have a roll somewhere? it's very stiff stainless wire, not fun to do by hand. Not the same as Mechanics wire.

dstates
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So I know some stainless steels are magnetic, but I did a quick magnet check and you guys are probably right that I bought a steel wire. I'm not really worried about corrosion since this is in an oil soaked area, though. I'll put some stainless safety wire on my list and replace it when I get some.

sflem849
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Safety Wire... where do I get it? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really, you are going to beat him up because it is not stainless? There was a freaking coat hanger in there for YEARS!!! Why don't you beat up the electric fence wire guys. That stuff is junk, bend it three or four times and it breaks.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.