Yesterday's Tractor Co.
Shop Now View Cart
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile    Log inLog in 

Tough beef

Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You just learned how "GREAT" grass fed is. Expensive lesson wasn't it?
I start my calves on grain in the creep feeder at about 3-4 months,wean them around 500-600 pounds and keep them right on grain,corn silage and hay til they're finished. It's rare to have any piece of meat that you can't cut with a fork.
Sorry to hear that you listened to the wrong folks.

Dave from MN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:34 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Our beefs have been creep fed from about birth, weaned then slowly put on all the ground corn with 6% ration of hubbard steak maker pellets. We can ussually have them to 1100# by about 11 months, even had one that was 1230 at 10 months. Have never had a complaint, animals always buthced at local small locker. However, our most raved about beef has been the ones the last couple years that we put on full free choice 3rd cutting alfalfa for the last 45 days, with only a smaller amount of grain. Every onje that gets one of them beefs then request another over the grain finished. I personally noticed the difference, much better flavor and just as tender. Did a grass fed once, no one liked, even the hippies that insisted on "go green" grass fed. These are angus/shorhorn/pinzgaur/simmental crosses. yes I have all colors, blacks are no better than the yellows, red, spotted,browns. I like variety of color in the herd

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:17 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This all reminds me of the time in the Staff NCO mess in the Corps when a buddy of mine cut into a piece of meat and said, "Man, I'll bet they chased this critter off across the desert before they caught him!"

The Mess Sergeant overheard him and gave him a dirty look.

Dean Olson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:31 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm not fan of the "grass fed" beef. I believe it's a marketing gimmick. It's far cheaper to put cattle on pasture that try to keep them grain fed.

Especially here in TX. Dang things taste like the brush they've been eating and leather tough.

I grew up on Iowa grain fed beef and still think it has the best taste and tenderness.

Growing up we gave butcher steers a limited pasture, alfalfa, and cracked corn. About 6 weeks before we butcher we penned them up and fed as much corn as they would eat and not allow any physical activity. We butchered them young at about 900-1000 lbs. This was about the right amount to fill the freezer for the year.

My grandfather talked about penning them up and feeding corn till they just about went down. I never could get him to tell me how long that was.

Mom kept 3 of the biggest chest type deep freezers in the basement. We raised hogs,beef, chickens, a few ducks and geese. Had a big garden that Mom canned and froze from. Her grocery run was for staples, milk butter flour coffee etc.

We sure ate better back in the day than we do now.

Texasmark1
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:48 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used to have a beef butchered but found that I had a lot of undesirable cuts that didn't fit into our eating habits.

So I take mine to the sale and stop by the grocery store and buy the cuts we use. In doing that I also don't have to worry about whether or not I got my meat. I have had that concern more than once for the same reasons as you but obviously it's just speculation.

Other thing I always wondered, especially when I saw a meat counter at the butchers, was did I get all of my choice cuts or did one or two wind up in the display case.

Again, not pointing fingers, just makes you wonder. Have no way of determining one way or the other and that is what made me wonder.

Mark

John A.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:05 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph, I too am sorry for your results, Unless this is your usual feeding program you bought in to the biggest lie in the Beef industry.
If 1 qt of ground corn / day was all you gave those steers!!!!! Well you Got what you Got! Poor Results.
I don't have a problem with the calves grazing in a grass trap, BUT those last 60 to 90 days You should have been pushing @ Least about 3gal of shelled corn @ 2 times / day / Head!!! ++++ 1 flake of Alfalfa / feeding!
You may have some apologizing to do But next time it will be different.
You can not take the fat off of steer and expect the meat to have any taste!!
Later,
John A.

Ron in NS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just don't buy any Alberta beef that was processed at XL foods in Brooks.

Ralph Bauer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ralph,
Stress will make meat tough. I can't recall the type of hormone their body produces when stressed, but too much stress, especially during penning, transport(short is better), at the slaughterhouse right before being killed, can make meat tough. Pretty much true for cattle, hogs, deer (commercially raised, for example in southern New Zealand), etc. At the slaughterhouse, you want them to be in a breed appropriate sized pen and group, resting for a some hours, before taken to the processing line. I also heard that sprinklers dispersing water while in rest will calm them down, too.
Dunno the kind of facility you took them to but that's what I have heard. Also, is the meat aged properly?? Aging will make meat a bit more tender, too.
The "other" Ralph in OK.

RLA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:03 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My Beefer's get good gallon of grain in the
morning & they same at night. Ever since they
went out to pasture.

Good Grain = good taste..

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 8:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Agreed.

The "all natural" grass fed beef people are ruining lots of perfectly good meals. Give it a a month or two and there will be huge amount of tough beef on the grocery shelves. Lots of guys are going to run out of hay and there won't be any for sale at any price.

flying belgian
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:30 am    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are you guys sure it is not because they were bulls? I butchered a couple boar pigs at about 300 lbs a couple years back. They were awful. Every cut was just rotton. Stunk when you unwrapped it and just got worse when you started cooking it. Ended up boiling it and giving it all to the dog. Even the smoked hams had that piggy smell. I don't know if beef would be the same.

sammydwm
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:53 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

beef bulls do not taint like pigs do.
In actuality you would be hard pressed to tell the difference between meat from a steer or a bull if fed the same.

With such a poor diet the meat will be a lot tougher than the stuff that you buy at the store. You will need to learn to cook it differently than store bought beef. This means low and slow....Lots of crockpot suppers....

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This stealing at the butchers happens more than you think.The last cow I had done had the smallest liver Ive seen on a cow,The first one we had done had no sirloin steaks.

english
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your first sentence said it all. The meat needs to hang at least three weeks,if not more and you are eating within two weeks.You can't beat aged beef for tenderness and taste.

Edii

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Tough beef Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Grass beef is very different. Don't cook it too much or it will be tough as nails

When I grew up we had a finishing mix to flavor the meet. Molasses grains etc.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
Page 2 of 3

Jump to:  

TRACTOR PARTS TRACTOR MANUALS
Fast Shipping!  Most of our stocked parts ship within 24 hours (M-Th). Expedited shipping available, just call! Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors. Compare our super low shipping rates! We have the parts you need to repair your tractor. We are a company you can trust and have generous return policies. Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651. [ About Us ]

YT Home  |  Forums

Modern View Forum powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group

All Rights Reserved. Reproduction of any part of this website, including design and content, without written permission is strictly prohibited. Trade Marks and Trade Names contained and used in this Website are those of others, and are used in this Website in a descriptive sense to refer to the products of others. Use of this Web site constitutes acceptance of our User Agreement and Privacy Policy

TRADEMARK DISCLAIMER: Tradenames and Trademarks referred to within Yesterday's Tractor Co. products and within the Yesterday's Tractor Co. websites are the property of their respective trademark holders. None of these trademark holders are affiliated with Yesterday's Tractor Co., our products, or our website nor are we sponsored by them. John Deere and its logos are the registered trademarks of the John Deere Corporation. Agco, Agco Allis, White, Massey Ferguson and their logos are the registered trademarks of AGCO Corporation. Case, Case-IH, Farmall, International Harvester, New Holland and their logos are registered trademarks of CNH Global N.V.

Yesterday's Tractors - Antique Tractor Headquarters