Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Moisture gathering in the bowels!

View previous topic :: View next topic  
chuck machinist
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:15 am    Post subject: Moisture gathering in the bowels! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think it would be an appropriate time for all of us to check the moisture levels in our herds,old and newer ..I.E. motors and trannys,and hydraulic systems, since there has been a lot of talk about it on the forum this year. Best of luck. Chuck

Pastor John
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: Re: Moisture gathering in the bowels! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just curious little brother better does moisture always seek the lowest level in the transmission or oil pan? Does the tractor need to sit for a period of time before you tap off the water?

Since the SC sits over the winter is it better to check for moisture in the fall or spring?

I had an experience with antifreeze (very small amount)when I changed the oil in the SC the first time. I was concerned initially but it never showed up again in following oil changes. I recall the previous owner telling me he pulled the head and ground the valves. I assume it was at that time some antifreeze found its way to the pan and the oil.

Going out to winterize the SC this afternoon. Gas treatment and antifreeze check.

tomturkey
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Moisture gathering in the bowels! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Oh yes a new fall ritual, just like maple trees in the spring, we tap tractors in the fall to let the water out. Hope all is well with Chuck and John. gobble

Pastor John
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Moisture gathering in the bowels! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm thinking we can rewrite the operating manuals.

Anything to get little brother chattering!

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:26 pm    Post subject: Re: Moisture gathering in the bowels! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Water always settles to the bottom. It can settle out over night or take a few days depending on the oil. When you get water depends on how you use it and what the weather is like where you live. If you use the tractor hard for a day once in a while that will usually get it hot enough to get the water out. Water is more of a problem on tractors not used much because they don't get hot enough to cook it out. Here in Mn we get water over winter from the cold weather so I drain mine in the spring.

chuck machinist
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Moisture gathering in the bowels! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Couldn't get that archive story out of my head about the D in Indiana this past winter when the fellow couldnt move her, cause she had a block of frozen water in the transmission.and looking at all the early freeze conditions developing over the country I thought i would shake a coconut or two. doing well here ,two days of solid rain ,no complaints Chuck

IA Roy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Moisture gathering in the bowels! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I bought a DC from a friend had added antifreeze to the transmission. I didn't think about it, but it was too thin to keep from freezing. When I found out it was frozen. I waited till the temp got above freezing one day, and got it moving. I drove it down the road about a half mile and put it in the heated garage. I drained 5 or 6 gallons of slush out of it, and let it sit a day. No damage that I know of. My FIL had a Farmall M that froze and cracked the rear end housing. He had it welded or brazed to prevent lube from leaking.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Case and David Brown All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.