Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JD 720 tappet shields?

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ssgshelton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:44 am    Post subject: JD 720 tappet shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi,
I have a 1957 JD 720 Row Crop that has a clicking sound coming from under the valve cover. I just thought it needed the tappets adjusted so I followed my manuels instructions on the adjustment and upon taking off the valve cover found something that I can't figure out. apparently on the 720 there are two shields on the rocker springs under the two inside tappets. One is attached to the tappet and the other is loose and slides up and down. it also appears the be a little jagged on the top. I checked the parts book and it shows the shields but I cannot tell if they are attached or supposed to be loose and slide. Could someone enlighten me on how they are supposed to be? Here is a photo of it.
Thanks
Joel

Machinery-Man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:15 am    Post subject: Re: JD 720 tappet shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

those are bonnet shield and the lower part has broken loose from the retainer top. They are to keep excess oil from getting on the intake guides and to control consumption. Replace the bonnet and skirt combo. I suppose you might try brazing them back on.

Machinery-Man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: JD 720 tappet shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you can remove the rocker and use 100-125 lbs air in the cylinder and remove the retainer and spring to be on the safe side I'd slip a needle noze vise grip on the valve stem also but air should hold it closed ok...

ssgshelton
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: JD 720 tappet shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Machinery Man-Thanks for the info. I know you have answered many questions on this forum for me. I really appreciate it.
Joel

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:21 am    Post subject: Re: JD 720 tappet shields? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'd also run the piston in that cyl. up to TDC those 20-30 series models the piston goes up really far and it should also help keep the valve from falling clear in if something goes wrong trying to get it apart.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.