Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

loose spring in carberator bowl

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RJSw/NAA
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:07 am    Post subject: loose spring in carberator bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was cleaning out my backup carb because the one I am currently using leaks gas. Before I swap them out, I wanted to make sure this one was clean and ready to go. While carrying it over to the compressor hose the little spring fell out. Just so happens my IT shop service manual is missing those pages due to a bad collation job. Before I drive to TSC to get the manual replaced with a complete copy, thought I would post here. Anyone recognize that little one inch spring?

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:56 am    Post subject: Re: loose spring in carberator bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Do not know that it would be an inch long but the only spring I can think of that would just fall out of a carb if you did not have it in pieces would be the choke butterfly flapper spring

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:44 am    Post subject: Re: loose spring in carberator bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A picture of the spring might help

The parts diagram for the NAA carb shows 5 different springs:

Carburetor Main Adjust Needle Spring
Carburetor Idle Adjust Needle Spring
Carburetor Throttle Lever Adjusting Screw Spring
Carburetor Choke Shaft Spring
Choke Flapper Valve Spring

The first 2 are installed ahead of each of the needle valves, so if the needle valves are in place, it's unlikely to be either of these. The next one is on the exterior of the carb on the throttle linkage, so if it "fell out" I would guess it wasn't that one. The next one is also on the exterior of the carb, on the choke shaft, so the same probably applies about it not having "fell out". The choke flapper spring, which old already mentioned, is in the throat of the carb, so it seems to be the likely suspect.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: loose spring in carberator bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

some carberators have a float support spring and bracket in the bowl.The choke plate spring has a hook on both ends.

Sean in PA
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:49 am    Post subject: Re: loose spring in carberator bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

36 coupe wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:27:21 10/08/12) some carberators have a float support spring and bracket in the bowl.The choke plate spring has a hook on both ends.

According to the parts diagrams, the float support spring was only used in the carbs for the 172 ci engine from 1/1/1955-12/31/1957. Seeing as how the NAA had a 134 ci engine and was only made in 1953 & 1954, I figured that spring didn't apply.

RJSw/NAA
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:32 am    Post subject: Re: loose spring in carberator bowl Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Choke flapper valve spring it is. And I also know why it fell out. one of the hooks on the end broke off. Curses.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.