Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ???

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Crazy Horse
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:55 am    Post subject: Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Continuing on with my questions on plug fouling for my Farmall A, lots of good advice so far. I'm getting plug fouling (oil) using Autolite 386's which are the standard plug recommended it seems for the model A. I can get either 388's or 3116's from the local NAPA store. First, I have a magneto ignition system. It seems the 386's are the hottest of the two choices but they are resistor (or noise suppression) plugs and apparently not recommended for magneto ignitions according to stuff I've read on the internet. The 3116's are non-resistor plugs (recommended for mags apparently) but are not quite as hot. They lie somewhere between the 386 and the 388 series heat ranges. Any comments on which way you'd to if you had to choose? The tractor is not regularly driven and when it is, not used for long extended periods of time.

Jason S.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:41 am    Post subject: Re: Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well...I may be wrong or get blasted but magneto"s and resistor plugs are a big no no...the 3116 is non resistor but if I remember right it is more of a projected tip like the champion D18Y. I do know they crossover to each other. I run champion D21 in my A and have no problems. Usually a projected tip will foul easier.Do you have copper core wires? That makes a big difference. If you want an equivalent to the 386 you can run AC C88L if you want to try a different brand. Or try the D21 champions which is a step hotter.

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Crazy Horse wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:55:23 10/08/12) Continuing on with my questions on plug fouling for my Farmall A, lots of good advice so far. I'm getting plug fouling (oil) using Autolite 386's which are the standard plug recommended it seems for the model A. I can get either 388's or 3116's from the local NAPA store. First, I have a magneto ignition system. It seems the 386's are the hottest of the two choices but they are resistor (or noise suppression) plugs and apparently not recommended for magneto ignitions according to stuff I've read on the internet. The 3116's are non-resistor plugs (recommended for mags apparently) but are not quite as hot. They lie somewhere between the 386 and the 388 series heat ranges. Any comments on which way you'd to if you had to choose? The tractor is not regularly driven and when it is, not used for long extended periods of time.

If it uses a magneto, it really needs the non-resistor 3116s.

John T
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Fer as I know the 388 is hotter then the 386 and the NON Resistor 3116 is somewhere in between those two heat ranges. Its really best to use a NON resistor plug with a Mag ignition so looks like youre stuck with the 3116 but Ive had good luck with them

John T

Paul from MI
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just put a set of 3116's in my Farmall H. It had C43 AC's, but they were a bit cold and fouled easy, contributing to rough running. I've had the best performance with 3116 Autolites in my John
Deeres, and they have magnetos and run very cold in the winter.

randy hall
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

our gas tractorrs all get 3116's. and we have a bunch of them.

gene bender
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:00 am    Post subject: Re: Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe the problem isnt plugs . Take a compression test after adjusting tappets. Get new wires. Are all plugs fouling or just one or so. Remove them and lay them in order where they go this can tell you some more info. C87 ACs will work along with Champion D-21.

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:46 am    Post subject: Re: Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

its a band aid fix, but you can put anti fouling caps on the spark plugs. they screw on the end of the spark plugs and hold them out of the combustion chamber. napa has them. used for high oil consumption engines.

Harold H
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:02 am    Post subject: Re: Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't have the plug numbers and heat ranges available, but, do not use resistor type plugs with a magneto system.

Harold H

Dougct
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Best plug .... Autolite 388 or 3116 ??? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I used 388's in my farmall c before i rebuilt it.They worked great,the 86's would foul.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.