Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Silo filling time 1946

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgasper
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:59 am    Post subject: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

On the way to the silo filler in Bohemian Valley, WI in 1946

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:43 am    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dgasper,
What a great photo!

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Really neat pic of days gone by, but not forgotton.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

We did that until 1949 or 1950 when our neighbor
bought a pull behind chopper. It went from about 3 or 4 weeks to 3 or 4 days to fill 2 big silos. We had to hire a lot of help bofore the chopper. We used a 10-20 McCormick Deering on the blower. They had a Farmall M on the chopper
and the chopper had it's own engine. They used 2 big trucks with dump beds. We had 3 people in the silos tramping the silage one would gas the 10-20 and check the oil level. In 1950 we bought a Farmall H and used it on the blower, but for some reason it wouldn't handle the blowing so the owner of the M swap his M on the blower and used our H on the chopper. My brother, sister and I were still in high school at this time. My sister graduated in 49 and my brother and I graduated in 1951. We caught the 12 grade system. My brother joined the Air Force 3 days after we graduated and I was drafted into the Army in 1953 and I got married.
Hal

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It's funny how everything old is new again.

Back in the 1950's you guys chopped into trucks. Then along came the self-unloading wagon. Now everyone's chopping into trucks again.

Too bad bunk silos didn't catch on in the 1950's. If they knew how easy and fast it was to dump and push vs. funneling the stuff into a blower...

RLA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a Phote very similar to that with my
Dad on the wagon & Cap & Doc were the names
of the Team.....

dgasper
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is my brother's FIL driving the horses. The horses' names are lost to history unfortunately.

Last edited by dgasper on Mon Oct 08, 2012 4:02 pm; edited 1 time in total
rrlund
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad built a bunker in the later 50s. Built it out of treated lumber. He and my uncle filled it with rear unloading false engate wagons.

Hoofer B
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great photo. I like the milk cans.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nothing new. The Amish still haul corn to the silo like that around here. Get behind one on the road, talk about a wide load. 1-2 mph up the hill, 5-10 down the other side. Quite interesting.

mb58
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:56 pm    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Won't be long til we'll be back to doing this.

Jonak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

B T D T. My fav time of year. Got out of school a day or two . We had mules. Powered the Blizzard chopper-blower with a farmall Regular. Wish I had pictures, but no such luck:>(

Organicfarmer1972
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Silo filling time 1946 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great photo. Thanks for sharing it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.