Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Anyone had catarac surgery?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
37chief
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:28 pm    Post subject: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I went to the eye doctor today, he told me I should have my catarcts removed, and a new lens installed. So next tuesday is the day for my right eye. The doctor was pushing the lens called the crystal lens, for 3,000.00 each. I opted for the lens that has been used since the 80's, Which will cost me nothing. Between my insurance and medicare they will cover the cost. If anyone has done this, did everything go ok? Stan

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have several friends going through this procedure right now. They've all come out of it with vastly improved vision and no ill effects.

Old joke: 80% of Chinese people have cataracts. The rest have rinkins. Discuss.

LenND
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 12:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had my right eye done about two months ago--didn't need it in left one. I turned down the high priced one too. Go for it--it's a short and quick operation. Hardly no pain afterwards and no pain during operation. I have about 20/20 vision now in both eyes. My wife had it done to both of hers and no problems. We had the op at eight one morning and were done by nine something. Went to docs office next morning and had patch taken off and eye checked. Oh yes. they recommend sunglasses afterwards. Go for it?

Rwolfejr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Go for it. Two good friends had the same procedure and they both went great. The one let his go for years and afterward said he'd forgotton how colorful the world was. Guess he saw everything in a muffled shade of blue-ish. He had his done maybe 8 years ago and all is still great. The other buddy just got his done a couple months ago and he's happier than a pig in muck with the results. I had the Lasiks or flap and zap done about 12 years ago and still see 20-15 (better than 20-20) in my right eye and 20-20 in the left.

I have a hard time imagining that the free lenses would be anything but near perfect. My guess is the $3,000 units are probably more accurate than our brains can pick up on anyway.

One thing... yes near zero pain involved for the operation unless you're gonna get your eyelids lifted. Buddy who just had his eyes done had his lids lifted a few weeks later cause they were drooping and obstructing vision some and he said that was sore as all get out afterward. He had black eyes for a couple weeks.

Two Dogs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had mine done nearly three years ago with the el cheapos. 20/20 in one and 20/30 in the other. In dim light I need reading glasses but that's a heap better than the trifocals I wore for years. Go for it. TDF

mudcreek183
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My mom had hers done last year more time waiting at the office then anything else it waslike going from night to day or black and white to color no more glasses heres the kicker she is 94 she said she wished she had it done years ago went with the cheap lens too.

VADAVE
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:23 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Dad his done when he was 70. Never complained about the surgery or anything after that. They were still fine when he died at 91.

kj(seil)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I will throw in the pot that I had left eye done and was one of the less than 10% that have a detatched retina afterward. that was spooky.kj

Tod Buenger

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Count me in that group of 10%.. cataract surgery Nov. 2011.. Detached retina Feb 2012.. all is good now 20/20 again. after 6 weeks face down in bed and 10 weeks off from work.

EX 450 Owner
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had both eyes done about 7 years ago; it went great and really improved the vision especially when driving and the oncoming head lights caused “night blindness”.

After about 5 years the regular implant lenses begin to cloud so they cleaned them with a Laser, painless and took less than 10 minutes for each eye but they only do one lenses at a time so it took two trips. They said that they very seldom cloud more than 1 time so it probably would not happen again.

Goose
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These responses are all engouraging. My wife is scheduled for both eyes next month, two weeks apart.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:11 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

1600 per eye here.Computer controlled laser

Tony Vidlak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:19 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I had a catarac removed from my right eye in 1995
just had the cloud removed in Feb. of this year.
Thats 17 years between operation and cloud removal, 10 minute laser operation to remove cloud and was able to drive home. Id go for it.

jCarroll
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:22 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Had both eyes done this summer. Now 20/25 in both. Use readers for really close-up things.

My left eye had as-tig-mah-tism. So I got the $900 version which corrects that, and did not opt for the pricier version for either eye.

A month of 3 drops per day gets tiresome, but OhBoy -is this a lot, lot better.

k6zrx
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Anyone had catarac surgery? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My wife had it done last year. 1 hour, 10 minutes from them calling her in from the waiting room to getting in the car to come home. Hers was a bit difficult the doc said. Just follow all instructions the doc gives you, then all will go well.

Josh

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.