Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

JDM Ground Cable

View previous topic :: View next topic  
GaryinAL
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: JDM Ground Cable Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 51 JDM that seems to have a weak ground. The battery is good, but when I try to crank it, it seems to drag. It is a 6volt positive ground system. The positive ground cable is one of those braided strap types. What gauge cable do you guys use for ground cables? Do any other M owners connect the ground anywhere else besides the instrument panel pedestal? I am looking for a better ground connection, if there is one.

Thanks,
Gary

James Howell
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 2:44 pm    Post subject: Re: JDM Ground Cable Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have used the braided, positive ground strap for our 51M and all three 51 MTs.

Photobucket

Even with a new, 6 volt battery the starter would barely turn over on "Sam" our 51MT.

Photobucket

Removed the starter and turned the worn, copper switch terminal stud 180o to make better contact with the switch.

Photobucket

Also installed a new switch.

You might check to make sure there is a good connection with the switch and the copper switch terminal stud.

Last resort would be to remove and test the starter.

Hope this helps.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:53 pm    Post subject: Re: JDM Ground Cable Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Clean your grond up real good with a wore wheel and then reattach your strap. They never did turn over real good with that 6 volt battery.

S.Crum
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 7:39 pm    Post subject: Re: JDM Ground Cable Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems like I'm continually reading here about someone having issues with the 6V system in their M tractor. Why? When I rebuilt my M 14 years ago, I took my starter and generator up to Custom Rebuilders and had them do their "magic" on them. I haven't had any problems what so ever save for the 10 year old battery that exploded about an hour after I put the battery charger on it. I'd say I got decent mileage out of that battery. Otherwise I mow every week with the M and use it for snow removal, back blade and stone rake work so it gets used about 10 months out of the year. Definently worth having a rebuilder rework your starter and generator. Of course it may have helped that I built a new wire harness for this tractor when I rebuilt it.

FBH44
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: JDM Ground Cable Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not at all familiar with JD, but on a different color tractor I got tired of the slow starter, so I re-ran the ground wire from the battery directly over to the starter mounting bolt. Made a HUGE difference, the old starter really spins now. The prlblem was the return current was trying to go through several rusty aras, flanges, other bolts., etc. Now it's not.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:33 am    Post subject: Re: JDM Ground Cable Reply to specific post Reply with quote

FBH44 wrote:
(quoted from post at 07:07:07 10/09/12) Not at all familiar with JD, but on a different color tractor I got tired of the slow starter, so I re-ran the ground wire from the battery directly over to the starter mounting bolt. Made a HUGE difference, the old starter really spins now. The prlblem was the return current was trying to go through several rusty aras, flanges, other bolts., etc. Now it's not.

I agree with FBH44. I've never understood other than to save money why JD engineers routed a battery ground cable to the battery box!!. Over time the batt box becomes rusty from sulfuric acid and every place that batt. box attaches will loose some amperage conductivity.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:31 am    Post subject: Re: JDM Ground Cable Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it seems to drag it may just be the starter draging. The bushings can wear and let the armature drag. Best to catch this early before you fry the windings then it costs ALOT more to fix.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.