Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

12 volt kit resistor

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy kramer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:34 pm    Post subject: 12 volt kit resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently purchased the 12 volt conversion kit for my 1945 2n. with a little adapting I got it to work. Question is that the kit comes with a resistor IRD600 I believe. In the wireing plans it shows how to hook it up and says IF NEEDED. How do I know if I need it? or should I just hook it up anyways? The resistor on the tractor is only 2 years old. please help, I have to get this running before it gets to cold out.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 3:53 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt kit resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Did you buy a 12 volt coil or a 6 volt coil?
If you bought a 12 volt coil you would only need the original ballast resistor.
If you're using the 6 volt coil you would need to install both.

HTH

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:10 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt kit resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Andy........would it surprize you to learn resistors are just like light bulbs, they either work (light) or they don't (dark). In otherwords, a 2-yr old resistor ...or... 50-yr old; donna matter age, it either works ...or... it don't. (tip: hottcha-hottcha, burnie-burn) Simple, eh?

Yer 6-volt 1945 2N, has the weird 4-nipple dizzy with a 1-wire squarecan coil. It is powered thru the "infamous ballast resistor" from the ignition ON switch. And here comes the confusion, either the original 6-volt or the modern 12-volt squarecan coil needs the MANDATORY "infamous ballast resistor". NO ARGUE!!!

The cheap "Bubba" 12V conversion uses the original 6V squarecan coil ...plus... a 12V-to-6V converting resistor. (what you are calling "IRD600") We recommend squandering yer money for the modern 12V squarecan ignition coil ...and... the mandatory "infamous ballast resistor" ...and... NO USE the IRD600. Understand???

Now you have exchanged the 1-wire 3rd-brush 6-volt genny with roundcan cut-out for yer 3-wire 12V-alternator with idiot-lite. Yer alternator has 2 slip-on terminals and a BIG alternator 12V output stud. Connect the BIG stud with about 3" of wire to the #2 slip-on. (voltage sense) Now connect yer #1 slip-on (excite) thru the idiot-lite to yer ignition switch ON terminal. Without the idiot-lite (I use a common trailer clearance lite) you can NOT turn yer engine off because of backfeed volts from INSIDE the alternator going to yer sparkie coil. .........Dell a 12V advocate for the right reasons, who knows 8-ways to convert to 12V and they all work the first time

andy kramer
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:34 pm    Post subject: Re: 12 volt kit resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, thanks guy's. I have the 12volt coil so I will forget the second resistor.

John B.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:39 am    Post subject: Re: 12 volt kit resistor Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you converted your tractor over to an alternator the resister will bolt to the back of it. If not used on the alternator in the alternator circuit the alternator will continue to feed the ign system and when you want to shut the tractor off it will keep running instead.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.