Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John deere A problem

View previous topic :: View next topic  
MikeinInd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: John deere A problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 1943 model A that I"m working on. The problem is that it doesn"t run quite like it should. It sounds like its running lean but almost like its only on the one cylinder. Adding some choke makes only a slight improvement. I wouldn"t think it is a carb issue because of that but it does take some time to get it to fire when trying to start it sometimes. It was stored for quite sometime before I got it so its quite possible that the carb is dirty. Spark looks pretty healthy to both sides. Thoughts? I hate to just throw money at it.

Resting Relics 1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:57 am    Post subject: Re: John deere A problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike,
I would check the mag. Sounds like weak spark to me. Coil in the mag may be tired. New points and condenser are needed also. I could be the carb but usually hard starting is a spark problem. Good Luck!
John

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:33 am    Post subject: Re: John deere A problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Put it on a dyno and find out if it"s making power or not.
A two cylinder with an opposed crank and a single barrel carb . By design , it can not idle like a model 60.
JD went to a Duplex carb and head for a reason.
If the tractor is not using Autolote 3116 plug, solid core wires and the coolant temp isn"t 195F. It can"t idle even half decent. A cold engine won"t idle, simple.

Richard G.
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: John deere A problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An unstyled A will not idle smooth. Put it under load and see if it smooths out.
Richard

NoDakInMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: John deere A problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

MikeinInd wrote:
(quoted from post at 00:12:16 10/09/12) I have a 1943 model A that I"m working on. The problem is that it doesn"t run quite like it should. It sounds like its running lean but almost like its only on the one cylinder. Adding some choke makes only a slight improvement. I wouldn"t think it is a carb issue because of that but it does take some time to get it to fire when trying to start it sometimes. It was stored for quite sometime before I got it so its quite possible that the carb is dirty. Spark looks pretty healthy to both sides. Thoughts? I hate to just throw money at it.

If you think that it is only running on one cylinder, when it is running try pulling one plug wire off and see what happens. If there is no change, then that side is not firing, if it dies, the other side is not firing.

I have an A that was made in December of 1943 and after I got it it ran what I thought was OK until I took the carb off and cleaned it following the instructions from Robert's. Sure enough the "secret passage" was plugged. Now, even though the throttle and choke bushings are worn some as well as the plates, it runs and idles pretty sweet. Sweet enough, in fact, that it puts a little lead in my pencil every time I drive it.

MikeinInd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:04 pm    Post subject: Re: John deere A problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This is a styled tractor.

MikeinInd
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:08 pm    Post subject: Re: John deere A problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks, I'll check into carb. I plan on having the carb and mag done up by a pro at some point but that was a ways out yet.

Emmo213
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 21, 2012 6:07 am    Post subject: Re: John deere A problem Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NoDakInMN wrote:
(quoted from post at 15:44:27 10/09/12)

I have an A that was made in December of 1943 and after I got it it ran what I thought was OK until I took the carb off and cleaned it following the instructions from Robert's. Sure enough the "secret passage" was plugged. Now, even though the throttle and choke bushings are worn some as well as the plates, it runs and idles pretty sweet. Sweet enough, in fact, that it puts a little lead in my pencil every time I drive it.

Sorry for perhaps an obvious question but can you please post a link to these carb cleaning instructions? Thanks.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.