Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves

View previous topic :: View next topic  
FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 08, 2012 10:02 pm    Post subject: Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will a ridge reamer work on steel 0.040 sleeves ?
Are there many special steps if the ridge reamer can be usrd on 0.040 sleeves ?
Thank You for any help !

NOXJohn
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:56 am    Post subject: Re: Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sleeves are not intended to be reamed. Most likely the .040 sleeves would break if you try to ream the ridge off. If they have a ridge it is time they are replaced. If you do get the ridge reamed off and install new rings most likely the rings would not seal properly because the ring to sleeve clearance would be to great. Replacing the sleeves is such an easy job that doing anything else just does not make good mechanical sense.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

while i don't think you'd have a problem reaming a ridge on a thin sleeve.. if it's a big ridge.. you know the sleeve is about gone.

not much technology to a ridge reamer....

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why bother? Sleeves are meant to be replaced.

FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:29 am    Post subject: Re: Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thank you for your excellent thoughts.
I plan to replace the sleeves because they are quite worn. My thought was that if I could ream the ridge out, it would be easier to push the piston rod assembly out of the block from the bottom. I was concerned that the rings might hang up on the ridge and make removal difficult.
Will the rings hang up on the ridge ?
The worst sleeve has about a 0.020 ridge which is also not concentric. About 0.005 on the slight side and 0.015 on the most worn side. Will a ridge ream work on 0.040 sleeves ? I suspect they are harder than cast iron sleeves and may not ream well.
Thank you in advance on any suggestions you might have.

Dell (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:40 am    Post subject: Re: Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Farmerhr........would you believe you push the sleeves UP thru the top of the engine??? (there is BIG LIP on top of the engine sleeve that fits a groove in the top of the engine) And you pull the pistons down thru the bottom of the engine after you remove the crankshaft. Simple, eh? .......Dell

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:51 am    Post subject: Re: Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Farmerhr wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:29:36 10/09/12) Thank you for your excellent thoughts.
I plan to replace the sleeves because they are quite worn. My thought was that if I could ream the ridge out, it would be easier to push the piston rod assembly out of the block from the bottom. I was concerned that the rings might hang up on the ridge and make removal difficult.
Will the rings hang up on the ridge ?
The worst sleeve has about a 0.020 ridge which is also not concentric. About 0.005 on the slight side and 0.015 on the most worn side. Will a ridge ream work on 0.040 sleeves ? I suspect they are harder than cast iron sleeves and may not ream well.
Thank you in advance on any suggestions you might have.

Don't worry about it - the old pistons and rings will come out past the ridge just fine.

Grey cast iron is typically harder than most "as rolled" steels so that is not an issue with your ridge reamer. It should cut the steel sleeve just fine but the cutting force will likely wind up breaking the top off them rather than removing the ridge.

TOH

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:41 am    Post subject: Re: Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If they don't pop out easily you might use a dingle berry hone to help soften the sharper underside of the ridge . A common 4" hone will smooth a 3.2" hole very quickly .

A three stone glaze breaker hone will probably not help much . If you are not going to reuse the sleeves , then a stone on the end of a drill would work good too .

FarmerHR
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:00 pm    Post subject: Re: Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ken(Ark) & TheOldHokie
Thank you for your help. Your suggestions were really a help.
Since the sleeves are not reusable, I plan to break the edge of the ridge with a die grinder and then try to push pistons/rings/connecting rod out the top. The ridge is really sharp.
Will let you know what happens.
Thanks again !

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:02 am    Post subject: Re: Ridge reamer on .040 sleeves Reply to specific post Reply with quote

be carefull to stay out of the parent...

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.