Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Deere 50 won't idle

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Mandy74
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:52 am    Post subject: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am hoping for some answers here. I am at a complete loss. I have bought a John Deere 50 about a month ago. When I bought it was told the carb was redone and needed to just be adjusted. So after many hours of adjusting the carb the tractor still would not idle. So sent my carb to poppin john and had it rebuilt. Got it back and still not difference the tractor will not idle. So after furter investigation found out that the distributor needed to be rebuilt. Sent that to poppin john also. Got it back after set the timing on the tractor still won"t idle. The timing on the high rpm is right at 20 the timing on the low rpm is right at 20 is that normal? So after reading the manual decided to adjust the gap at the tappets. Find out there was no gap at the tappets so adjusted that to .020 and the tractor still will not idle. I adjusted the trottle rod to 1/2 hole short. The tractor will not idle. Can you guys please offer any suggestions.

NoDakInMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

When you say "will not idle" could you be a little more precise? Does the tractor not idle down, does it come to a complete stop, does it miss or does it surge rpms? This would help in trying to figure out what is going on.

Have you checked your compression? I'm guessing there was a reason why the previous owner had the carb rebuilt and it looks as if his original diagnosis was in error.

Mandy74
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:31 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The compression on both sides is right at 100 psi.

The tractor idles but every once in a while it
misfires and then after warm up it surges rpms and
it will not idle at low rpm it dies everytime.

Machinery-Man
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:14 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

compression is adequate...your primaries are plugged...those carbs are really hard to clean out...I've worked on them 3-4 times before getting the primaries cleaned....if one could removed the pressed in balls it would be easy...you just have a plugged carb....

Mandy74
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:20 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I sent my carb off to Poppin John which is highly recommended by everyone on here. He put the carb on his tractor and it ran just perfect. Just have a hard time believing it is the carb. Thanks machinery-man for your advice.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:27 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it ran on a test engine then I'd try and test yours for a vacume leak.

Mandy74
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Not to be stupid but any suggestions on how to check a vacuum leak. I used start fluid and sprayed around the gaskets on the carb to see if the engine rpms raise showing signs of a leak but didn't get any change in rpms.

ET
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:37 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does the idle improve if you pull the choke out a little bit?

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:01 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well what you did would be my first try too. I seem to recall someone on here having trouble with a B and it had a burned out manifold. I think they applied air pressure or vacume to it to somehow ?

Mandy74
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:03 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Would resurfacing the manifold take care of the burn out or would I need to purchase a new one? I was also thinking maybe a clogged air cleaner!!

teddy52food
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:05 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess I would pull the manifold & see if there is leakage between the ex and intake.

warnerntn.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:00 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

if you had your distributor rebuild,did you reset the timeing.also check and make sure the air-intake is not pluged up.

Mandy74
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:02 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I got the timing set for full throttle right at 20 degrees past TDC. I can not get the tractor to low idle without dying to set the time at low idle. Just trying to figure out why it will not idle low without dying.

turklilley
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:17 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You wrote you had timing at 20 past TDC, Set it at 20 before TDC

Mandy74
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:52 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere 50 won't idle Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry! My misprint it is set for 20 degrees before TDC. But the problem is it wont idle long enough to check low idle timing.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.