Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Big Bud!

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Harold Zebart

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:50 am    Post subject: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Great perspective on the size of the Big Bud 747 - The world's largest tractor. In this tractor parade it makes the other classic farm tractors look like toys. Built in 1977 in Havre, Montana. 760 horsepower with a 16-cylinder Detroit Diesel engine. Measures 27 feet long, 20 feet wide, and 14 feet tall. Tires were specially made by United Tire Company of Canada and are 8 feet in diameter. When the 1,000 gallon fuel tank is full the tractor weighs in at 130,000 lbs!

Ted in NE-OH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:18 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think I could afford to fill the gas tank. LOL

johndeerefan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a picture of me sitting in the wheel. It is definitely worth the time to look it over.

It does have a very large fuel tank.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:31 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just what I need to tend my garden! Thanks for the post. As you said, that REALLY puts things in perspective! I don't remember seeing those specs. either.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 8:45 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just did a Google search on Big Bud, according to Wackypedia it cost $300,000. to build then. Wonder what that would figure out to today? Said it also has a 150 gallon hydraulic oil tank. It has had about tree different owners. No wonder the retired it, with those capacities, no one could afford to operate it today!

Olen (TN)
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

CPI inflation calculator says 1,140,490.10

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:22 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

At least as of a couple of years ago, they were still farming with it. Brothers in Montana that farm about a zillion acres. It chisel plows an acre a minute. And IIRC, fuel consumption per acre is about the same as smaller units. They had it on an episode of Classic Tractor Fever on RFD TV, showed it in action. The owner didn't indicate any plan to retire it- all parts are readily rebuildable, and as he said "What would we replace it with?"

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:52 am    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I just googled it, and it appears they have retired it- they have it on display at various museums.

MF Poor

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I saw an interview with the Williams Bros. where they stated they're now no tilling wheat instead of conventional tillage. So Big Bud is on the porch enjoying retirement. But when they used it, in spite of huge fuel tank, and high gallons per hour fuel useage, it was still VERY efficient in terms of acres per gallon of diesel used.

Mark-Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Big Bud at Heartland Acres in Independence Iowa. Aug 2012

Mark-Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One more pic.

Fred from MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Holy Cow!! That is huge!! Im with the feller that said he couldnt afford to fill the gas tank. I would have to take out a loan at that gas station. But at todays percent increase in gas if you could lock a 30 year rate in on gas today it would probably be a good deal!!!!

Mark-Ia
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One more, don't know what happened to the other. Retired friend of mine.

BANDITFARMER
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Many years ago BTO here in SW Ohio had a Big Bud and got it stuck in the mud. Many people turned out to see them pull it out. There were 3 D9 Cats 1 D8 Cat and 4 Cat track hoes out there digging and tring to pull it out. 3 days later and many broken chains and cables later they got Big Bud out, And left one ungodly whole to fill in! It was truely something to see. Bandit

rabbit
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Big Bud! Reply to specific post Reply with quote

This tractor has gained status around here second only to the ETD!

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.