Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

John Deere Firsts

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Ted in NE-OH

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:42 am    Post subject: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am writing an article for my club's newsletter . What are some of the firsts that John Deere introduced?

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:59 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

None until new generation.

Greenday
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:26 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roll-a-Matic front end

ET
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:47 am    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The modern telescopic PTO shield first introduced on the No8 mower. Exploded parts illistrations introduced as part of the war effort during ww2. Both of these were unpatented because they felt the industry should adopt them as soon as possible.

Paul_IN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:10 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

roll over protective structure

lfnel
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:37 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good grief, the steel plow!

NoDakInMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:40 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Don't forget the obvious, the self scouring steel plow.

MisterT
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:50 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greenday wrote:
(quoted from post at 19:26:35 10/09/12) Roll-a-Matic front end

The guy who invented the roll-a-matic approached IH first. IH played around with it and even installed one or two for test purposes, but they were not impressed and didn't buy it. I used to have a picture of a Farmall B equipped with the roll-a-matic, but I lost it years ago when my computer crashed.

NoDakInMN
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:15 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Then there was the Gilpin Sulky Plow that took the farmer off his feet and into a seat.

In 1980 JD introduced the 4 row cotton picker, an industry first.

Roger in Iowa
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:30 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hay Cuber, both self propelled and stationary.

NY 986
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:20 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I believe the GP was the first tractor with power lift of any type.

NY 986
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:23 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think the 435 might have been the first tractor with dual speed PTO.

Brendon-KS
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:31 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A Deere book I have claims the Model A was the first tractor with adjustable wheel tread. I can't say whether that is accurate or not, though.

Tyler-MO
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:31 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Closed-Center-Hydraulic system with the radial piston type pump that varied volume based on demand...which was an industry leading advancement that held JD hydraulic systems in the industry lead for 20 plus years over their competition...1961

Direct injection diesel engine standard on their tractors...others had tried and decided to use other injection systems utilizing pre-combustion chambers. This began in 1949 on the R- diesel and continues to this day. It was one reason for their successes in claiming the top fuel efficiency records at Nebraska that held for over 30 years until not being beaten but by another JD product in the early 80's.

there are other things...just a sampling here.

sideconsole4020guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:41 pm    Post subject: Re: John Deere Firsts Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Um, Im going to say the first with syncronized transmissions, first with the full powershift trans I believe, First with a great factory cab ( In my opinion)

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.