Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Cutting weight on a John Deere G

View previous topic :: View next topic  
JohnDeerJimOhio
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 9:53 am    Post subject: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 49 g pulling tractor and I"m looking to loose more weight tractor has pressed wheels aluminum fenders aluminum front weight bracket. Rock shaft and hydraulics have been stripped but original cast shell is still there.. Right now it weighs 5450 with me on it at 250lbs any other ways to strip it? That im missing? Will it make a difference to change out the original cast shell of the hydraulics and get a flat back? Any one out there making them out of aluminum ? Anyone have any other aluminum parts for sale?

VicS
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:14 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How much oil does it really need? Not much. How much water? Do you really need the fan-shaft? That big old cast radiator and the cast front end. Weld on hubs. what about the axles how long do they need to be. do you have the studs in the axle housings? I would make the flat back from steel, some farm stock rules say no aluminum. You can lose 5 lb in a few minutes with a grinder. Do you need all the gears in your transmission. Is all the pto gone. Don"t forget the seat. Everything can be made lighter.

bobidan
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:02 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dont know what happened there search on here for JDTH

2-lunger

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 51 and it weighs 5000 even with me on it and I weigh 230.It has 15.5x38 on 17 inch press steel stock air filter stripped off,all hydraulics stripped off,no rollamatic,removed rear cover and fabed up a cover and hitch combo light weight round tube wheely bars front mid and rear weight brackets made from 3x1/4 angle.Removed stock gas tank for a 4 gal steel one on front weight bracket. NO aluminum at alland still has fan shaft and battery under seat.

JD PHIL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 38 G has alum rear cover that has been home made to look like the cast steel flatback but I dont know who made it,even has jd part number and no pto hole,I made a dummy cover where the pto would be looks like pto just removed, I found it in the midwest at a old farm with junk tractors they did't know what it was got it cheep!!! I was just smiling all the way home.

cale

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 4:04 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Last g out of my shop went 4630 with driver and factory fenders 618 830 4992

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There was a G that pulled here in 4500 for a few years.

JohnDeereJimOhio
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:08 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cale when is a good time to call and chat with ya?

what they said

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:07 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

aluminum rear cover, shorten the axles, lighten the wheels, take the fenders off, move the battery to the front, light weight radiator, take gears out of tranny. there's lots of little and big things you can do.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:58 am    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is the advantage of moving the battery to the front.Thanks

cale

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Cutting weight on a John Deere G Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Best time is 8 to 9am central time otherwise it hit and miss thanks,cale

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Pulling All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.