Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Threshing on the Ridge

View previous topic :: View next topic  
dgasper
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 10:52 am    Post subject: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Photo was taken on North Ridge, La Crosse County, WI in 1938.

We don't know who the little guy on the water wagon is or who the engineer is.

We can't identify the steam engine.

It looks to be a relatively small steam engine. Looks like it could be a spark arrestor on the smokestack.

Jonak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 11:05 am    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

D G you are a treasure on old photo's. love it!

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

dgasper,
Really neat. Thanks for sharing.

Do you know the purpose of the gunnysack(?)over the top of the stack on the steam engine? Just curious.

Greg K
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That's a neat old picture! My ancestors settled over that way, by St. Josephs Ridge, in the 1800's. However most of the family then moved on to Nebraska by probably the 1870's or so. They left a few of the family there, and when I was on my way to the in-laws in Wisconsin one year we took the scenic route through LaCrosse. A few miles North of there I looked over to see my last name on a mailbox! It isn't a real common last name like Smith or Jones either lol. I should have stopped in, but didn't.

dgasper
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

SweetFeet - We think it is a spark arrestor, possibly home made of metal screen. Then again we don't know for sure.

dgasper
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Greg K - Then you've driven on Hwy 33. I grew up on a farm on 33 just east of the La Crosse/Monroe county line about 20 miles east of La Crosse. I remember many folks on that ridge. I'm now retired and living in CA.

Kirk Grau
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 2:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I grew up in LaCrosse too. Recognize some of these place names. Think I have been back twice since 1985.

Greg K
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

beautiful country right there you were lucky.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 3:57 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Brother in law grew up in Cashton- near La Crosse. Other nearby towns were Viroqua and Coon Valley. He still has some brothers dairying in that area. He and my sister went back there after his military service in about 1966, then came out here when my dad got him into apprenticeship in the carpenters union.

RevJJ
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its a pre-1905 Advance steam engine, about a 20hp or so. You can tell its older than '05 due to the straight cleat or "hay mower" style grouters. That old gal had been earning her keep for many a season by 1938.

tjdub
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:55 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

> We think it is a spark arrestor, possibly home made of metal screen

I think you're right. You really don't realize how much hot sparks are coming out of that stack in the daylight, but this year we ended up threshing after dark and it was kind of scary to see how many burning cinders were drifting towards the straw pile. If it was as dry as it has been lately when we were threshing we could have had a big problem on our hands.

Here are some photos Badger08 posted from that day (coincidentally we're about 30 miles from La Crosse, WI).

dgasper
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 6:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike (WA) - Small world isn't it. I went to HS in Cashton, my first GF was from Coon Valley, and my sister and her family still farm in the middle of Amish country near Cashton.

Mike (WA)
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:35 am    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

BIL is about 72, so would have graduated in about 59 or so. Robert D. Olson, went by "Donnie".

dgasper
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Threshing on the Ridge Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mike- I'm 72, graduated in 58. Unfortunately I don't remember Donnie.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.