Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

H brakes

View previous topic :: View next topic  
grantl
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 5:48 pm    Post subject: H brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

II put new brakes on my "H" and I have had to use most all of the adjustment to get them so I think they should be is tis correct?

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 09, 2012 7:41 pm    Post subject: Re: H brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If the total clearance inside with the adjuster loose is more than about .050" the housing needs to be machined (at the surface where it bolts to the frame) so that the clearance is about .030" if this is not done the adjustment will be used up, and the braking force will not be very good either.
Stack the expander and the disks together on the bench and use a good caliper to measure the thickness. The depth of the housing should be just more than this, (by the above amount.) The housing and friction surface on the tractor as well as the expander all wear as they are used. This size increase must be repaired when servicing the brakes when they get to the end of the adjustment, or before that. Jim

Wayne in MN
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:23 am    Post subject: Re: H brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Likely you are referring to band style brakes. To adjust: apply the brakes fully, lock the pedal, set the adjusting screw on the bottom of the brake cover by turning it in until it touches the brake band then back out 1/2 turn and lock the set screw. This helps prevent the brake from dragging on the drum while driving.
Re-check your pedal free play and set to 1-1 1/2".
Drive the tractor and test the brakes to aee if they pull the tractor to one side or the other with the pedals locked together.

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: H brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jim is describing DISK brakes.

For band brakes just adjust them until they work to your satisfaction. I wouldn't worry about how much adjustment you have left because I can pretty much guarantee that you won't run it enough to need a whole lot more adjustment in your lifetime.

It would be one thing if you were full-time farming 50 acres with it. You'd probably need to adjust the brakes a few times a year.

kevinj54
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:57 am    Post subject: Re: H brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be his drums are worn out also

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 12:21 pm    Post subject: Re: H brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If band ignore!! Jim

grantl
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:50 pm    Post subject: Re: H brakes Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks everyone I wondered what the set screw was for, also I just take it on tractor rides I had a lady walk out in front of me once and had a hard time stopping so decided it was time to work on the brakes.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.