Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:28 am    Post subject: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

An older gentleman called and said he has a tractor made by Sears and Roebuck and was only made for 1 year. He has all of the equipment with it and has the wheel wheights too. What could this tractor be?? I can't remember what he called it but I had never heard the name. It wasn't Handiman, Economy, nor David Bradley. He wants $550 for it.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 7:59 am    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Get a picture from him and post it. Hal

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

El Toro wrote:
(quoted from post at 20:59:30 10/10/12) Get a picture from him and post it. Hal

well.....I would but if my grandfather goes over there he'll give him $550 for it. At least that is what he said. His quote: "It has all the equipment and was only made 1 year.....$550 isn't nothing and the guy probably needs the money. "

Looks like I will have to wait until he buys it (if he does) to get a picture. Personally I like to research things first just to see what it is because you never know from what people say. It could be information that he was led to believe many years ago that has been misunderstood.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was hoping someone on here might know what it is since it was supposedly made for only 1 year.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was hoping someone on here might know what it is since it was supposedly made for only 1 year.

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 10:54 am    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're close to the tractor I would go look at it and take your camera along. You may save gramps some heartache. Hal

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:58 pm    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unfortunately I am not.

El Toro wrote:
(quoted from post at 23:54:36 10/10/12) If you're close to the tractor I would go look at it and take your camera along. You may save gramps some heartache. Hal

t.r.k.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 6:38 pm    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Graham Bradley? You know-The row crop tractor made by Graham Paige, the car manufacturer. I'm thinking they were only made for about a year and a half.

Technically, as far as I know, Sears did not 'make' any of the tractors it sold. They were all produced by another manufacturer, usually to Sears specifications, and sold through Sears stores.

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:54 pm    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One of the shortest production runs that I remember was the David Bradley Tri-Trac. It had a wide front axle to span two rows, and only one drive wheel which ran in the middle. You straddled it like a motorcycle to operate it. A man I worked with had one and liked it, but very few customers did. Today they are bought by collectors more than for garden use.

dhermesc
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:53 am    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hard to say, to often I hear tales like that and usually they are being repeated by people that don't know what they are talking about.

Almost every single Springfield 1903 rifle I've heard about for sale is described as a "sniper rifle" but I have yet to actually see a 1903A4. I've seen 1965-66 Mustangs described as having the 289 Cobra Jet, old IH Cub Cadets with factory original 20hp Kohler engines, and extremely rare limited collector series Peace dollars from the 1920s (actual common silver dollars).

Seems strange the guy knows it was only made one year but can't tell you the model.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:40 am    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I think we're gonna go over and look at it together this weekend! Stay tuned.......

El Toro
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 12:00 pm    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Take your camera along. Hal

Todd in NC
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:14 pm    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

rtr, the 1971 Sears Custom came with a 8hp Briggs & Stratton engine. This was the only year that Sears put the Briggs in a Custom. The other years they had Tecumseh engines. I hope this helps. Todd.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:08 am    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Todd in NC wrote:
(quoted from post at 05:14:30 10/12/12) rtr, the 1971 Sears Custom came with a 8hp Briggs & Stratton engine. This was the only year that Sears put the Briggs in a Custom. The other years they had Tecumseh engines. I hope this helps. Todd.

Thanks for the tip Todd! I will definitely get some pictures if we get to go look at it!

JohnDY
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: what tractor did Sears only make for 1 year Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roper made Sears tractors for years, don't know how far back, when Sears used to deal with a manufacturer for years at a time but now they seem to be bidding their items, tools, mowers, appliances, etc., so don't know who does it now except for the Simplicity models they sell. Don't shop for them.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Garden Tractors All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.