Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Where's My Dipstick

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Dude with a 300
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 1:42 pm    Post subject: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How come my 1955 300 doesn't have a traditional oil dipstick to check the level. I received my manual today and it shows a dipstick just ahead of the oil filter. I have an untapped boss there and no dipstick.

Bruce

Charlie M
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maybe someone changed the block?

Harold H
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Maby your 350 was a distillate with pet cocks. Though rare, distillate was still an option thru the 350/450/650 line of tractors.

Harold H

Harold H
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 2:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I mean your 300.

Harold H

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:33 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Farmall 300 tractors didn't get dipsticks added until tractor serial # 9338 or engine serial # 9341. If your 300 is a lower serial # thats the answer.

sd pete
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Way back in the early 60's Dad bought a early 300 no dip stick on it. When he retired I bought it from him. Wasn't any tractor fuel equipment on it.

W

Dude with a 300
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:17 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Mine is in the 7200 serial range. So how are you supposed to check the oil?

Bruce

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

should be two pet cocks on side of the oil pan upper and lower

Berth 29 opinions
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:30 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Different tractor, but my Grandfathers Mccormick had a plug on the side of the oil pan (petcock hole) Loosen it, if oil leaked out it was not low.

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:51 pm    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Answer; the side of the oil pan has two small projections on the side. These are petcocks (valves). if you open the top valve on level ground, the oil should drip from it if it is full.
If the bottom petcock is opened and none comes out it is considered low. So keep the level between them. Filling till it comes out the top one when checking was SOP when running them hard. Jim

F BH44

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 1:48 am    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I put a dipstick in my "H". There's a cast boss that sticks out on the side of the block, just ahead of the filter. Remove the oil pan, get the sharpest drills you have, and start drilling in the center of this boss, at the correct angle down, so you'll miss the crank. Drill a bit, then open that hole up with the next size drill, then go back and drill further with the first drill, the object being not to break off a bit. I had to drill thru 2 3/4" of cast iron. Tap the hole, get a piece of 3/8" tube, as i recall, re-thread it from NPT threads to fine threads, and installthat. I got a Ford dipstick, put it in, and make sure it misses the crank. (Mine misses the crank by 3/4".) Remove all the chips and filings.
Works great, and truth be told, I check the oil much more often now. I used to check it once a year. Dipstick looks real cool too.

Jonnymac348
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:39 am    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

someone probley changed the oil pan out if it doesn't have pet cocks on the side. best answer is look in your service manual read how man Qt's it takes fill it with that and use it if your in a crunch. Just like all the new cars out there no dip stick.

Dude with a 300
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

OK, mine has the two petcocks, just seems kinda half a$$ed way to do it since dipsticks had been around forever.

Bruce

mkirsch
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:49 am    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

No, not like all new cars out there.

The 300 at least has a way to visually check the oil, using the petcocks.

New cars, if this whole no-dipstick thing is true, won't have a way to check the oil at all. You're depending on the computer to "sense" that the engine has the proper amount of oil in it.

I haven't looked at a new car in almost 10 years so I have no idea if they come with dipsticks or not. I would not be surprised since most people can't be bothered to check my oil.

caseyc
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:05 am    Post subject: Re: Where's My Dipstick Reply to specific post Reply with quote

GM did away with tranny dipsticks back in the early
2000's, not all models but too many. Ford has also
did away with tranny dipsticks around the late
2000's, again, not all models but some. I have
not run across a vehicle without an oil dipstick,
yet.

Casey in SD

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.