Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

5000D injector removal

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ed1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:01 pm    Post subject: 5000D injector removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Any words of wisdom? I am going to remove my pump from my 5000 (CAV) . It's getting fuel to the pump, but I found rust and trash in the top of the pump. Apparently it got past the filter. I did coat the tank and now the fuel is clean . Pump man says if I found trash in the pump then I should pull the pump and the injectors and bring them in. I have IT manual and it looks pretty straight forward, but any hints would be appreciated. General pump cleanup and seals run about 300.00 and the injectors are 29-40 each to rebuild
Thanks,
Ed1

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:23 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D injector removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you've got someone good to go through that pump for 300 bucks and clean it... then it's probably worth that to get it done.
My inclination, if it was MY OWN... I'd probably pull the return line window off the pump, finger out what I could... mabey flush clean fuel down from the top of the pump... and go. If you're handy you can remove the top of the pump, free the stuck metering valve, flush it out and go.
However... 300 bucks is not a lot of money to know you have a clean pump body that's not going to feed contamination to the injectors and mabey blow a tip off...
FWIW, I had one get full of ice a couple years ago... to the point that the transfer pump would not move any fuel. I dumped the methyl to it, got it free, scooped the ICE from the pump body. It's working fine ever since....

Rod

ed1
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D injector removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Rod, I might just that! I appreciate your input.
Ed1

Brian Allen
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 3:35 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D injector removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ed1
I think Rod has given you some pretty good advise, $300 is a good investment.
If you have rust in the top of the pump, you can only guess what the inside has!
The injectors can be difficult to get out if they are rusted in.
Just be patient, and keep working away at them, and they will come out.
Post back with any issues.
Brian

Bern
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: 5000D injector removal Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'm with Rod. If the pump is still pumping, flush it out yourself like he talked about. If you're afraid of plugging the injectors due to any trash loosening up inside the pump during your flush, merely crank the engine for about 30 seconds with the injection lines completely disconnected from the pump.

I'd save the money and do it myself. I can promise you this much: for $300, you're not getting a rebuild of that pump.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.