Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Crooked auctioneer

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
steve terplak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:07 pm    Post subject: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Just talked to my dad...he went to an auction this evening in
upstate, ny. O'conner's auction service. Was looking at a
nice, clean Chevy S-10 to replace his, which he will use to
drive to the farm and use the tractors...loves his little Chevys.
100 k miles, 6 cyl. Auctioneer said "I'm going to sell the Truck
now, if you'd like to hear it run, follow John outside." He went
outside, heard it start, ran great. Outside for 30 seconds, got
back inside and it was sold. $2500. He and several others
complained but got nowhere. It is a few crooks like that who
give he rest a bad name. Figured I'd share as I like a good
auction story.

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gosh the last one I sold for the county we had to run through the ring 3 times to get $2,700 for it and it wasn't in bad shape, If I'd had a little coin in my pocket I would've bought it and swapped my dad for his Honda Civic he was trying to part ways with.

Will Herring
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:38 pm    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Usually I notice this sort of dirty trickery when they're running "two rings" of auctioning stuff off... Aggravating. Evil or Very Mad

steve terplak
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:46 pm    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My dad was willing to go up over $3k, never got the chance...I bet the auctioneers friend is real happy and the people of the estate aren't happy.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:06 pm    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Funny thing the ones interested in hearing it run were probably the ones willing to pay the highest price for it. Obviously the auctioneer has both questionable integrity as well as questionable common sense, expecially if he was drawing a commission on the sell......Like my Great Grandma used to say, "All fools ain't dead yet"

Brad Buchanan
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That is kinda interesting...

I leased an S-10 in '97 from an upstate NY dealer. Brand new had I think 7 miles on it.

It was a pretty good truck for real light duty as 6 bags of groceries would make it sag in the rear.

The lease was ending and I decided to buy the truck. It was nearing the 40.000 mile mark and was coming off warranty and I took it in to the dealer because the engine was getting loud (as in knock-clatter.

The service manager (dealers son) said that that engine had head clearance problems and they would fix it in a day.

He called me the next day and told me they were ordering a long block for the truck and to pick up a loaner car.

I got the truck back (ran great) and about a year later I was putting a receiver on it and found the trailer pigtail cut off with sides and stuffed into the frame member.

Makes one wonder.

Brad

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 9:25 pm    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Your subject implies there is an honest auctioneer someplace?????

:)

--->Paul

gtractorfan
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:07 am    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sold in 30 seconds? That sounds awfully quick. On bigger things they usually drag it out. Seems like the seller would be all over this!

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:18 am    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was at an auction looking for a post hole digger.The were 6 new diggers on the ground.Two guys started bidding running the price up fast.I wondered why.On multiple items one person may bid and others hold back knowing the rest can be bought at the same price.I stayed late to help a friend load some stuff.When I left all 6 diggers were still there.

Keith Molden
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:35 am    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I resent your implying that all Auctioneers are crooks. I for one am not. That's like saying all farmers are lazy because one doesn't take care of his animals. Nuff said. keith

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:54 am    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Reread the post. It said "a few crooks" not all are crooks. Yes I'm sure your a, real stand up guy.

Keith Molden
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:17 am    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Jay, I was refering to Paul's post that is just above mine. I don't think I read it wrong at all with all his question marks. & yes, I think I'm as stand up as anyone else on here. No better and no worse. keith

JayinNY
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:44 am    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry, I see that post now. I did think you ment the original post.,, Wink

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My post was tonuge in cheek, but I made it a bit too realistic. Sorry about that. :)

Auctioneer represents the seller, and it's their job to get the most money for the goods. It's the name of the game, how it is and not dishonest, but things are worded in the seller's favor? Its always up to the buyer to look after his own intrests....

In this case as first described, might not be a dishonest auctioneer - just a bad situation. Told people to look t the item, then got to selling it before that got settled out - a mistake, and once he said sold, then what, he can't open it up again, that wouldn't be right either. Auctions move along, th timing just went wrong.

But it sure was a mistake, and leads to some questions at least.

--->Paul

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:14 am    Post subject: Re: Crooked auctioneer Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Sorry for my harsh comment, didn't mean it to come out quite like that.

Auctioneers represent the seller, and as such they do - and should - have a slight bias. A buyer needs to watch out for his own intrests.

That's not dishonesty, just how the business is - and should be.

But it does cause a smile when an item is described from time to time.... ;)

I prefer buying at an auction over a dealer or private sale. I just feel more comfortable at the auction environment. Dad took me to them when I was a little kid, and I plan my calander around good farm auctions within 100 miles of me.

--->Paul

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.