Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

hygard for rear end oil in a 60

View previous topic :: View next topic  
ajdeereman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 4:34 pm    Post subject: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

can a guy run hygard in the rear end on a 60 all it does is tractor pulling

LJD
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 10, 2012 5:09 pm    Post subject: Re: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Seems the only issue would be if the oil will stay in and not slowly leak out. Hyguard has all the EP additives the tractor needs for hypoid/spur gear and bearing protection. It's the lower viscosity that might be an issue. Normal-grade Hyguard is 20W in engine-oil talk. Winter-grade Hygaurd is 10W in engine-oil talk. 90W GL-1 gear oil is 30W-40W in engine-oil talk.

Just bear in mind that engine oil viscosity is not the same as gear-oil viscosity so you have to put numbers in context. 90W gear oil = 30W-40W oil, etc.

Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:42 am    Post subject: Re: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

LJD
I sure thought 90W gear oil was a thicker consistency than 30-40 wt engine oil. So what's the formula to putting engine oil and gear oil wts in "context"? Thanks,Jim

nlastovi
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:59 am    Post subject: Re: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tx Jim wrote:
(quoted from post at 03:42:52 10/11/12)
LJD
I sure thought 90W gear oil was a thicker consistency than 30-40 wt engine oil. So what's the formula to putting engine oil and gear oil wts in "context"? Thanks,Jim

I'm not so sure that there is a "formula" that covers it all.

However, take a look at http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/viscosity-charts/

It lays out the viscosities measured in cSt along with the grading for engine and gear oils. And you can see that, for example, a 90wt gear oil is roughly the same range of viscosity as straight 40wt or 50wt engine oil. But the sizes of the ranges differ and overlap so there isn't a strict one-to-one relationship. And also remember that the measuring for reference is at 100*C (ie 212*F). So the oil will be, all else equal, thinner at measure temperature than it is in the bottle on the shelf.

Mike M
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:43 am    Post subject: Re: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gear oil is made to cling and stay onto the gears to protect them.
Machines made for hy-gard have oil pumps in the rear ends to help keep it flowing where it needs to go.

I guess you could try it and report back after awhile. At worst all it could do is ruin the rear end. LOL ! At best it may not even matter for limited use ? Your tractor your money.

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 9:38 am    Post subject: Re: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hy-Gard or motor oil. Lots of stroked two cylinders with the cast wall between the crankcase and transmission.
Running Hy-Gard or motor oil in the transmission is also a "work around" for a leaking pto shaft seal.

4020deereboy
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:17 am    Post subject: Re: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There's a chart in the John Deere fos manual that Crosses
gear oil weight to motor oil weight it says that they use the
higher numbers for gear oil so people don't confuse the two
oils

wilamayb
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I guess for limited use it would be fine but the cost of hy-gard is much greater than the cost of gear lube.

The hygard will not coat and "run" the gears as gear lube would.

These two cylinders are straight cut gears with high tolerances. High tolerance fits usually use a heavy oil while low tolerance fits usually use a thinner oil.

In my opinion 60-630's always had the nosiest gears off all the two cylinders anyway... I never knew why?? I have owned several 720/730 tractors and they made little to no gear noise... The 620/630's I have owned and operated have all been noisy. If you live in a southern climate I would use the thickest oil I could find, otherwise the gearnoise may overpower that soothing "pop" of the engine :)

I can only imagine the gear noise with hygard if working till the trans oil actually got warm!!

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:48 pm    Post subject: Re: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Well folks, on oil viscosities, I used to think that thicker was better till I bought a Dodge Hemi back in '07 and it was rated for 5W-20 and the users manual said that the oil pump was designed for that weight and you are to use it.....and then along comes Mobil 1 in the ecology label that is 0w-30 and replaces 5w-30 and 10w-30 (different engine) and satisfies mfgrs. warranties in the process....for my truck not my tractor. So my tractor has a Cummins diesel and I called Cummins and asked if I could use Shell Rotella T full Syn in the viscosity of 5w-40 and the reply I got was: "Sir your engine will LOVE that oil".

So with me, I just sucked it up and went with the OEM's recommendations.

Live and learn.

On oil viscosities, the problem is cold. That is where they really diverge and if you are in a cold climate, it can really make a difference in performance.

My 2c and it is the truth!!!!!!

Mark

buickanddeere
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:44 am    Post subject: Re: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Engine built to use the low viscosity fuel efficiency oils have tighter clearances than engines designed for thicker oil.
An engine designed for 0W-20 can actually loose the oil wedge that separates the bearing from the shaft. If the oil is too thick.

Texasmark1
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: hygard for rear end oil in a 60 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yepper! But it still takes a new mindset to feel cozy about it after a lifetime of Heavy Duty oil for HD applications. I guess the current method of oil processing, base stocks, and additives improves the surface tension of the lube and you can get away with thin oil.

Mark

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.