Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jonnymac348
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:29 am    Post subject: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was wondering to pick anyones brain I am looking into putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins into a International 350 tractor. I know you can buy or make the adapter plate and have to change the fly wheel. Was wondering if anyone knew what would need to happen with the front end mounting to the cummins. Assuming you would have to make new mounts. and was wondering if the front end would mount back again on the stock spot behind the oil pan where the pivot ball is with no modification or what would need to be done. what kinda flywheel should i use or buy.

Any and all help would be much appreciated.
Jon

farmallboy15
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:03 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will probably be way to long without extending the frame rails, sheet metal and steering wheel. A 4bt MIGHT fit in there...

Jonnymac348
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:21 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

this is a utility it doesn't have any rails forgot to put that part in. but that is true about the tins and steering good call. i think i could make the tins work though by extending them with new steel with my english wheel and re rib the panels with my bead roller.

Bermuda Ken
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:50 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

WHY???????? The T/A and Trans drive shaft will now become your drive line shearbolt.

In reality, the engine would be worth more than the rest of the tractor.

D Slater
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:55 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Nice job on a 4 cylinder in a farmall 300. Don't know the details but a utility would be a lot harder to do.

Jonnymac348
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:10 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i love that amazing job who ever did it. I can build some rail for it tie them into the existing front end mounts and front weight bolts. Making notes make rails, extend tins, extend steering.

Jonnymac348
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

so ill upgrade the sheer bolt lol (drive shaft) the block/ motor internals are completely done who ever did all this perfect make shift motor work welded the block so it beyond repair and ruined the internals, bent the crank, rounded the cam, bent the rods list goes on and on even if i find another c-175 block, and internals+ rebuild and machining still might cost as much as a putting a cummins in it and the cummins is a better motor. I love impossible task to make something different from the norm and make it better this is what i do everyday. I could do it going in blind with a small concept but rather learn from someone else problems they might have encountered then my own if this is the route I go.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:20 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

With enough time and money ANYTHING is possible....Good luck and have fun with it.Share pics of 'journey and destination'Steve

Jonnymac348
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:33 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/uptest/a85383_sml.jpg
http://www.tractorshed.com/gallery/uptest/a85384_sml.jpg
i dont know if i did this right but an 03 ram 2500 with a 24 valve cumins i built frame off.

Jonnymac348
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:39 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would deff do it right why im shareing my photos just trying to bounce ideas off problems people may have run into when doing this project of trans planting a cummins 4 cly or 6cyl in a 350

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:04 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you are making something for a show piece then fine, overcome the problems and drive on......but if you are thinking of a working tractor you will find that the rear part is going to be the weak link. That's way too much engine for that. Tranny input shaft, gears, final (ring and pinon) and axles will all become sheer "bolts".

Rick

uncle henry
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:18 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

get a ups or a fed-ex engine they have four cylinder cummins in them

the tractor vet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:33 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

IF ya did not get carried away with going much over 75-85 Hp the drive line would hold up fine . But you start pushen that little 4 BT to 100- up Well then we might start seen SPARE PIECES AND PARTS.

Jonnymac348
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:44 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

thanks rick and i deff will take all that into consideration. deff use the tractor for more show then using it. Just think it would be cool and be really nice to do it. would deff be different. you wouldnt happen to know what the rear internals are estimated/ rated for hp wise.

Uncle henry thanks i will deffinatly start looking in that direction for a motor. They sell an adapter plate on ebay with a different fly wheel to make this work supposedly you know anything about that and whats needed for a clutch or what i can i use for a clutch. Leaman tractor parts offers it the adapter.

Jonnymac348
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:47 am    Post subject: Re: Putting a 6bt 12 valve cummins in IH350? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i deff remember that thank you for the advise. this is the stuff i need to know it will help me allot.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Farmall & International Harvester (IHC) All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.