Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

pistons??

View previous topic :: View next topic  
tumleweed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:26 am    Post subject: pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Are new pistons actually to be installed from the bottom of the block instead of the top???

JMOR
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:51 am    Post subject: Re: pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tumleweed wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:26:46 10/11/12) Are new pistons actually to be installed from the bottom of the block instead of the top???
Where did that come from? Or what prompted the question?

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:59 am    Post subject: Re: pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tumleweed wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:26:46 10/11/12) Are new pistons actually to be installed from the bottom of the block instead of the top???

No - they are installed and removed from the top. Even if you tried I don't think you could get them past the crankshaft on most (virtually all?) motors.

TOH

Last edited by TheOldHokie on Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:01 am; edited 1 time in total
tumleweed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:34 am    Post subject: Re: pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ok I thought so, I must have misunderstood one of the replys about the "use of a ridgereamer on the .040" liners. Thanks

TheOldHokie
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Re: pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

tumleweed wrote:
(quoted from post at 11:34:13 10/11/12)
Ok I thought so, I must have misunderstood one of the replys about the "use of a ridgereamer on the .040" liners. Thanks

No - you understood it perfectly.

TOH

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 2:41 pm    Post subject: Re: pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i believe that poster thought he would not be able to get the pistons out the top with the ridge ( I think they would have... but I didn't see the jug.. Smile )

tumleweed
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:44 pm    Post subject: Re: pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yea my mind jumped time again. I was reading what Dell replyed and thought he was saying the pistons had to be installed from the bottom. My fault, I get so excited I can't help myself. lol

Ken(Ark)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 12:40 pm    Post subject: Re: pistons?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

TheOldHokie wrote:
(quoted from post at 10:59:59 10/11/12)
tumleweed wrote:

No - they are installed and removed from the top. Even if you tried I don't think you could get them past the crankshaft on most (virtually all?) motors.

TOH

Most blocks I am familiar with have webbing for the main journals in the way which will block a piston from being removed from the bottom side .

This comes up when an old motor has had a cylinder bore exposed to water/elements and heavy rust has formed , making it difficult to remove the piston . Ugh , not much fun .

I checked it at the shop this morning and it is possible to remove ALL of the N pistons by pushing them through the bottom , with the crankshaft removed of course .

This was just a curiosity of mine when reading your post . Now we know to NOT take a bar room bet if N pistons can be installed from the bottom side .Getting the rings compressed would be a real challenge too .

On second thought I would bet some redneck a beer just to watch him do it .

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.