Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

2440 Batteries

View previous topic :: View next topic  
jDenny One

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: 2440 Batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Need some help with the selection of a batt. for my 2440. I know it will take two good ones to start in the winter. The ones from mother deere are kinda pricey. Have any of you used other batteries with a high CCA with any success? Or just bite the bullet and buy from mother deere. Thanks for any imput.

donjr
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 3:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2440 Batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

While I don't have a 2440, I have had the chance to try several brands of other batteries over the years in a 2520, 4240, 6400 and 4430. And, to be truthful, wind up going back to JD for new ones now. Most of the will fits have lasted about three years without fail, and the JD's have outlasted them about two to one. While they look pricier, they also seem to give me better and longer service. Not trying to blow JD's horn- just a personal observation...

Larry Baker
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:39 pm    Post subject: Re: 2440 Batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have to agree with Don there.I do buy Deka batteries also but mother deere does the best. have a 345 mower that has a 13 year old battery in it.I do disconnect one lead thru the winter but still its been way beyond so far.Their 6 volts are second to none

Eric Hartman

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 4:42 pm    Post subject: Re: 2440 Batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I would have to agree with the statements of donjr on batteries. I have had batteries in cars, trucks, tractors, and lawn and garden equipment. I have been satisfied with the life of batteries in the tractors that came from Deere, as I have had less corrosion issues and longer service life with those batteries. I think I have seen 7 to 9 years of service out of a set of Deere batteries and I go for the maximum cranking amps I can get in every application. Seems like I have had fewer problems.

On a sidenote, my experience with batteries in my vehicles has been best served by Delco batteries and I have also been satisfied with Interstate batteries. I have tried Exide four different times and could not get much for longevity out of them. I had a Partsmaster battery in my one pickup truck and it created that yellow/gray goo out of the positive terminal, ultimately leading to ruining the cable end. Other off branded batteries have done the same thing. I have not seen this with the Deere, Delco, or Interstate batteries..........................yet. Hope to never see that problem again either.

I write here not with the intent to knock other brands, and other folks may have had great luck with Exide, Partsmaster, or other brands other than what I have used, but I know what the track record has been for me for the past 30 years. I am sticking with what has worked best for me.

4020_1966
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:03 pm    Post subject: Re: 2440 Batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I made a case and moved to a single large 12v. 1600cca semi tractor battery. Works great and cost less than 2 of the long skinny batteries. was about 120$

Last edited by 4020_1966 on Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:07 pm; edited 2 times in total
Tx Jim
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:46 am    Post subject: Re: 2440 Batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

These are the batteries listed in the 2440 PC
TY21764 BATTERY, DRY,12V,BCI24,550CCA,100RC 133.83 USD
TY21741 BATTERY,DRY,12V,BCI30H,CCA625,RC160 187.71 USD

David S.
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 3:12 pm    Post subject: Re: 2440 Batteries Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have a 2940 thats parked under a open side stall of a barn and i installed 2 group 65 light truck batteries with 1000 ca each, they have been in the tractor since 2003 and still crank good. Got them from costco with 9 year prorated warrenty.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> John Deere All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.