Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

More on the 105 chaffer stuff

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Cooney Minnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:43 pm    Post subject: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

So yesterday afternoon, we started in on corn with the 105. And after 1 load combined, the chaffer started to go.

I had purchased one last year used, and less than perfect. And today it went in... so much for having everything ready.

I'd still like to find a new one... and called a few aftermarket places. No one makes one, and nobody seemed very interested in coming up with a close fit.

My chaffer is 48 in wide, and could be either 48 or 60 in long, as there is a 1 foot bolt on section on the back.

Anybody know of anything that would fit???? I'm told a Gleaner F is the same width but shorter.

Anybody have experience with an airfoil?

All I do is corn... could I just replace the chaffer with a screen that would keep the cobs and husks out???

I will admit, this is kind of a game to keep the old girl going. But she sure runs good and is simple to fix- although the chaffer thing is getting frustrating. A 9500 or something would be a nice replacement.

But here's the rub... my neighbor does our beans for us, and does a good job. He traded his 9500 for a 9550 this spring, and it's a nice machine. But newer stuff certainly isn't trouble free. We finished the beans today, and discovered, when done, something was shooting sparks somewhere, as there were burning embers in various places!!! Newer doesn't mean NO headaches, and sometimes more. I appreciated the simplicity of the 105 today!!!

Cooney Minnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 5:44 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gro-Mor, did you get my email?

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Gleaner Model F is a 40 inch wide machine. Check on an M....might be 50 tho. I"m in Colorado now, otherwise would measure my M2, but they are one walker wider than the F.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:00 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Local fellow(I bought a 105 feederhouse from him) has a top sieve for a 105 behind his barn.I declined the offer...He would like to sell it.

DeltaRed
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:02 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you're close,come visit!

Cooney Minnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Delta red-

I'm in SE WI, a ways from Utah. Otherwise, I'd be glad to look at your stuff...

mulcher
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 7:54 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Parting out a 105 here in Northeast Colorado before it goes for scrap. Little closer then Utah.

Brian

James22

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:28 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Have both chaffer and shoe sieve airfoils, but not in a JD105. Mine are in a IH1480 with squirrel cage fan upgrade. Airfoils require a lot of air to work properly, so wouldn't consider unless the 105 has a great deal of air generating capacity; eg, an airfoil wouldn't work well in an IH915. Pretty much set the fan on maximum and adjust how it goes thru both sieves. Only need to reduce the fan if grain has a very poor test weight(too light weight). Personally probably wouldn't spend the money buying airfoils for a JD105 unless in was in great shape and I didn't want to harvest with anything else.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 2:20 am    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If your sieve went bad that fast you have other problems and a new one will deteriorate quickly too. Did you replace the rubber bushings? They can look good and still be bad.

Cooney Minnie
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:15 am    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The sieve was an old one, and the bushings were new not long ago, but I guess it wouldn't hurt to do it again.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

One thing I've used to prolong the life of a poor sieve is to put a dab of caulk on each rod where it goes through the edge and center pieces. This will hold them secure and take up the slop and still allow enough flexability to adjust the sieves. Make sure you use a type that stays flexible.

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I don't think you'd be happy with a screen in corn. A chaffer has the fingers sticking up that walk the grain to the rear. In corn you might have too much volume for a flat screen. Jim

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:39 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Another thing. If one of the pitman arms has a loose bearing it will cause the cleaning shoe to twist just a tweak every time it goes fore-and-aft. After awhile something in the cleaning shoe will break. It doesn't take much. This is true with any combine. Jim

JMS/.MN
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:56 pm    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Been here a week- really great time, first visit. From Rocky Mountain Natl Park, Estes Park, Denver, Manitou, Cripple Creek, Canon City and Gorge- Durango train today, 4 corners saturday, then 3 day drive home. Most exciting road- COUNTY road south of Cripple Creek, one lane with two-way traffic, hanging on the edge of the mountains. Thanks for the invitation! Maybe next time-

tomstractorsandtoys1
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: More on the 105 chaffer stuff Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Try calling Bowie equipment in Tipton Iowa he has several parts machines and buildings full of parts for older Deere tractors and combines. I have bought parts for my 95 there as well.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.