Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Lift cover off, Update

View previous topic :: View next topic  
russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:05 pm    Post subject: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its been a slow go. I started a week or so ago. Was trying to take off the lift arms and that led to making up an adapter for a cheapie rosebud for acetylene.

I was looking at the posts about the cam pin and welding onto the cam to replace the metal that went away. Humm, I think I know where that metal goes ...

So, I came up with another way. I put a bronze roller/bushing on the new pin. I felt it might work ok and besides no one told me not to. I used a 5/16 bolt for the pin, cut the head down on the lathe and turned the bushing from silicon bronze. The thickness lost on the cam is about what was gained on the bushing, which is 1/2 od by .565 long. Have a look see.

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:07 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Guess I don't know how Photobucket works?

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Test

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Thu Oct 11, 2012 8:20 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Direct link
HTML code
IMG code

I thought I should copypaste the IMG code.

Maybe the link works.
link

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Picture

I like the approach. Much easier than welding the cam and the bushing spinning on the pin should help with wear.

Let us know how it works out.

(to post the picture - click the Img box in the tool bar above the posting box, then enter the URL of the picture, then click the Img box again. - That's what I just did.)

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:30 am    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The URL of the picture? Would you have gotten that
from your browser navigation bar? Photobucket has
some buttons that copy to the clipboard, presumably
to make things Easier ...

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:36 am    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I find it very easy to upload a picture......just save it on your hard drive and click on add photo, browse, when the pictures come up double click on the desired picture and hit upload, then continue. YOu can upload just one that way or more than one. Takes way less time than uploading to antoher site then linking to this site.

Rick

Kurt-NEPA
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:41 am    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The URL is the Universal Resource Locator - what a mouthful. Its the address you type into you browser to take you to a web site. I just copied what was in your link.

Using photobucket is much easier. Just copy the code next to "IMG Code" and paste it into you post. Click "Preview" and you should see the picture.

oldtanker
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 7:47 am    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If it works well you should make a bunch and sell em.

Rick

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:22 am    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to all!

As far as selling parts, I don't see that as
practical for me. I am on SS and reporting income
would be too complicated.

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:36 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

russb wa,
I did something similar, I used a 1/2 inch bolt and turned one end to 5/16. Increasing the follower pin to 1/2 inch allowed me to make better adjustments. I too did it to save from welding the cam.

I like your idea better. If I have to replace my follow pin again, will do what you did. I coated my cam with white lub to reduce wear. Haven't inspected the wear in a while. Things are still working fine.
George

russb wa
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That cam is some hard metal, a file didn't want to bite. I took a grinder and cut down the lip. Probably should take a stone and smooth it some more.

Fun times, with this web site and all. I would never have done any of this without the kindness and encouragement of others.

russ

George Marsh
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:15 am    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

russb wa ,
You are right, there are a lot of nice, kind and helpful people on this sight. They helped me get through my hydraulic issues. I had to rebuild my pump and took lift cover 4 times.
George

howdy1960
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 8:31 pm    Post subject: Re: Lift cover off, Update Reply to specific post Reply with quote

only time i shared a pic i did it same way oldtanker said

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford 9N, 2N, 8N All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.