Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Do all John Deere 6620's shake?

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
andy r

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:32 am    Post subject: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently bought a Deere 6620 with very few problems. But, one thing I notice is that it has a shake. Where you notice it is in the steering column and the three levers (header raise/lower, hydrostatic, and reel height). Also the safety rail on the steps/platform. Everything sort of gets into a rhythm and is shaking back and forth. I have checked all of the bearings, straw walkers and belts. I am running a Deere 216 flex head on it. I do notice that when the head is running that the sickle bar moves back and forth ever so slightly in relationship to the stainless steel flex sheets on the head (less than a 1/8 to 1/4 of an inch). The head drive shafts are running at maximum. I believe the book says no more than 470 rpm and the digital readout in the cab can say 490 at times. Wonder if the stablizer under the the head is getting loose allowing extra movement??? Any ideas are appreciated. I don't know if this is really a problem and certainly is easily tolerated, just don't want to cause any damage. Thank you.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:19 am    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

First thing to check is the shaker bushings in the chaffer/sieve. Very important to replace if they are loose at all as much more damage will occur.

jon f mn
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:56 am    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

clean out the cylinder, probly full

jddriver
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

x2 bars are full of dirt on back side

cydectin
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 5:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Could be dirt in cylinder, header run in wheat without the sickle being locked in the rigid position can and will wear out the pivots for the floating sickle, and might also be the chopper is out of balance.

j hikemper

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

YOU Have a PROBLEM THAT MUSTY BE CORRECTED check for bouncing shafts while runnig at may differet speeds empty, particularly the seive rocking mechanisms ,the cylandar could be out of balance , either from dirt or mismatched replaced rasp bars...

fixerupper
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I rode in a 6620 combining beans and the first thing I noticed was the shake from the cutterbar. It's been a while ago, cause the combine was near new at the time. A loose wobble box can cause a shake too. Is the shake the same speed as the cutterbar? Does it shake when the head isn't running? Another thing that can cause a shake is the lugs on the front wheels in real firm soil. That had me buffaloed for a while once. Jim

JDseller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:34 pm    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Does it quit if you shut the header off??? If it does then check your table auger. I have had them bent that would shake the whole combine. If it does not stop then I would check the thrashing cylinder like the others posted.

sideconsole4020guy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 6:35 pm    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you find the bars are full on the back side then you can take out a filler plate and put a few golf balls inside to knock the stuff out while you are combining

ihman73
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I was told when I worked on these that the variable speed feederhouse should be run in the slowest speed when running a platform. Otherwise all other ideas here are worth exploring and also make sure you don't have a bent shoe auger(s) as well.

8850dave
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:37 am    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Better check to make sure all the hammers are still in the chopper which if any are missing the whole machine will vibrate. If any missing you have to change them so it can be balanced out again.

todd Hamilton

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:17 am    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yep a 6620 should be pretty smooth. When cousin traded up to 9400 we were discouraged with the vibration of it.

Dalet
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:02 pm    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shut off the header and let us know if it still shakes. It shouldn't.

larryanderson
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:10 am    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have seen combines driven in or had service calls made that were missing one knife on chopper.All combines that are not rotors have some shake but not excessive.Years ago we had an 8820 that we slowed the seperator down as it was speeded up on the later ones and would cause damage to sieves.Straw walker combines are made to shake the grain from the straw.By taking off chopper belt you can diagnose that area and the header shut off will tell you if thats a problem.Definately needs to be checked out or it could cost more than combine is worth.

paul Em
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:57 am    Post subject: Re: Do all John Deere 6620's shake? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

As mentioned make sure you variable speed pulley is as slow as it will go to slow the cutterbar down.

AND I'm not sure if the 6620's are same as the 4420, but we have a larger cog to use on the right side of feeder house to slow down the auger on the grain table.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Combines and Harvesters All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.