Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

why do I like this site ?

Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
larry@stinescorners
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:02 pm    Post subject: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Its hard to explain,but I do feel like talking about it. I live in nj,where most of my neighbors have better jobs than me,more atractive than the jobs I come home from,all of my daughters friends always lived in much bigger houses and fancy cars, I feel like a loser much of the time. Nobody really cares too much about our place in PA except me,I love it. I think this site makes me feel important,because people on here seem to have the same love for the country and tractors as I have. On this site I feel like I am somebody,and most of the time I feel like I am nobody, SORRY,but I just felt like talking. I am glad to be part of this great site ,thank you all

dgasper
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:09 pm    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry, you are the salt of the earth. That's a good thing.

NCWayne
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:21 pm    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I kind of know what you mean except that I never feel like anybody else is any better than I am. A bit 'better off, maybe, but better, NEVER. True I know people that drive better cars or trucks, live in larger houses, etc, etc. Heck alot of them are just like me and are self employeed so I know they share the same headaches and concerns I do, and deserve everything they've worked for. Thing is regardless of where they live, or what they drive, I (BIG I) am the one they all come to see when they have a problem. That being the case I guess I ought to feel like I'm better than they are since I am their problem solver. I don't though because the way I see it, all I know how to do is to be me. If my lot in life is to always be in the middle and to help out those on top as well as those on the bottom, then so be it. In the end as long as I (BIG I AGAIN) am happy, and am able to take care of my family, then nothing else matters.

That being said, there is always something to be said about having others to talk to that share the same likes and dislikes, the same values and views about things (for the most part), etc, etc, etc. My wife and little girl always give me a hard time about talking too much, and at times I guess I do. Thing is when you work alone most of the time, like I do, when you finally do run into somebody who can talk about tractors, equipment, or anything else, besides the all mighty sports world 24/7, then it's a real treat. I've got a few friends and customers like that, but when I get home at night, this site is usually the first place I go. Although I've only met a few of the people on here, or talked to them on the phone a time or two, the one thing I know is that at the end of the day the people on here are the ones that, were I stranded on Gilligans island, or any other for that matter..LOL...are the types of people I'd want right there beside me.

JDseller
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:39 pm    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You just a regular old common country fellow. Your just stuck in a city place to live. The country life is in your heart and mind. I have traveled to many places in the world. I usually found that the places people tell me will be special just look so-so to me. Then I will see some valley, field or mountain an think that is real beautiful.

An example of this is I have been to Paris, France. I thought it was a filthy disgusting place. The great art places where all dirty and stank. We then went to see the beaches at Normandy. I was over come by the emotions that that place brought on to me. We spent most of a day just walking at looking at the cliffs. I swear I could feel the souls of the men that died there.

We spent the majority of the time in the French country side visiting just common everyday folks. I would love to go back and do that part of it again but you could not pay me to go back to Paris or London. I would like to visit some farmers in Yorkshire England. I have read about how that part of England has feed a great part of the country for centuries.

I bet that you enjoyed your trip to the PA place today more than you would ever any Broadway show. You just have a different value set than the people you live around.

Royse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 8:51 pm    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

larry@stinescorners wrote:
people on here seem to have the same love for the country and tractors as I have

I think you're right on this point Larry, I know I share that love.
I can't tell you how many "tractor people" I have me that have the same core values.
The values that tell us we don't have to have the best house, the best car,
the best of everything and brag about what we spent.
We do have to have our morals, our virtues, our honesty so we are able to sleep at night.
Better than you? Let them tell us about it. I for one will disagree!

ShadetreeRet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:05 pm    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry,most of those with bigger houses and fancier cars also have larger payments and are deeper in debt. I never let that worry me. You have talents that many would envy, and it shows in the photos of your work.You love to grow things and have a place to do so, how many of them do? If it came down to it, you could move to your farm and be largely self sufficient. How many of those people could do that? How many of them even know which end of a shovel to pick up? I grew up without the proverbial pot to pee in, and had a bad inferiority complex. Over time I became a small engine tech. at a Sears Mail Order Plant. Many of the smaller stores had no service dept. so they shipped customers goods to us for repair.A lot of stores that did have a service dept. sent mdse. to us also. One day while at a one-day class, I over heard some others talking about what they did for this and that, and I realized, these were some of the ones who had been sending stuff to the plant for me to fix. In other words, if they ran into a problem, they just sent it to us to fix. So I decided right then, "Hilton, you are as good as the best, and better than the rest!" After that I held my head a little higher. So just hang in there, you probably wouldn't like their shoes anyway!

Janicholson
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The very nature of riches is happiness. I believe you share regularly the happiness in your life. (with us, and with others I am sure)
Many very rich are just like us. Many are far from common folk.
I will take happiness anytime over the stuffed shirt money grabbing tactics of socialites.

High moral ground is populated by many, and is shredded around the base by those without the traction to get there. Jim

Old Roy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 9:54 pm    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I never judge anyone , by what he has in material things. A man can be as poor as can be , and still be rich with the pride of knowing he has the most precious things in the world like his family , and friends.

Not just your close friends and family, but the ones you have collected out here in cyber space.

Just because you read these words .. doesn't mean there aren't fingers attached to a heart that dont care.

I have no Idea where in Jersy you live, but I lived in Old Bridge (not far from New Brunswick) for a couple years, and I wouldn't trade my country living here for the whole settlement.

After seeing your jobs you do with the stone and mason work , you need a place to relax , and get away from it all..

Tom in TN
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:42 pm    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry,

Everyone on this board enjoys knowing you. Your posts are always fun and uplifting. I read a book one time where the author was warning about putting too much emphasis on money and not enough emphasis on simple service to God.

He said, "But godliness, with contentment, is great gain." I've been encouraged by that sentiment for many years. Riches isn't counted in dollars and cents.

Tom in TN

2x4
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Fri Oct 12, 2012 11:54 pm    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

enjoy yourself more. We do.

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 12:28 am    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry, I take pride in having less than some others and keeping it going!. I see as we are getting deeper into this economic recession and the current wet weather we are getting over here that most times less is more. The big guys are falling like stones over here, and the big tractors are sticking in the mud....Better to carry your head at the same steady height than to carry it high and then have to hang it in shame. I reckon as long as I can keep food on the table and provide enough clothes and heat for my family I am not a looser. Maybe if you had the pressure in your head that some of your high paid neighbours have, you might not feel so good.
My father always said never judge a men by his clothes, by that he meant by material things.
Keep your spirits up and keep on posting here.....You have many friends here and that is something money cannot buy!
Sam

Fergienewbee
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:13 am    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry;

I've felt like you for most of my life. I always saw others as more successful, more important, etc. Money has never meant much to me; I can have a ball with two cents in my pocket, always have. When I see the first sprouts in the garden or my food plots take on a greenish tint, like when wheat or rye pokes through, I'm elated. I'm like a kid watching corn tossle and the ears forming, growing to frutition even thogh it's just a small plot. Deer tracks and picked cobs tell me I have met my goal, to help critters through winter. My wheat plot will provide spring nourishment for pregnant does and later spring fawns. I love the connection to the earth and appreciate all of God's gifts nature provides. We all enjoy your pictures and the love of your garden and occupation shows through. Many of us wish we had your talents.

Larry

Marc_FL
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:16 am    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry:

I lived in New Jersey for 12 years. Had the "big jobs", commuted to New York City, from the western part of New Jersey took 5 hours around trip daily. Had the 'big house' and the big debt, but we did it for the kids. Oh as a counterpoint the town over had bigger houses with fancier cars. Talking to someone one day, we talked about the town over becuase the property tax was at the time 90's was in the $20K range.

The guy mentioned to me yeah, some of those 'mansions', with exotic cars in front if you were to go inside have little to no furniture. It was a fašade.

I really never chased a dollar, I liked the work from the challenge perspective. I liked the work (it involved commodity markets trading), because it was like you against the rest of the world. It wasn't like writing a report then submitting to someone for approval. The whole market knew exactly what you did good or bad.

But honestly I never found peace. All the money in the world can't give you that. Once the kids were a little older, I just said I've had enough, we moved to a small farm we owned in northern Florida. Yeah, gave it all up. The jobs I have down here annual salary was essentially what I was paying in taxes in New Jersey.

But getting on that tractor sun shining, I was finding peace. There is something about it.Can't explain it. Yeah, all my 'friends' up north basically disowned me. Could not understand why I gave it up.

I tell people yeah, I have an advanced degree but no skills. I can't fix a tractor. I look on this site and I see pictures of a stripped down tractor then after a while someone will post a before and after picture. First the tractor is stripped down to nothing and then it looks flawless mint, with the comment something like "I did this on my spare time". I have to stand in awe.

Folks one this site are farming 100's to thousand of acres taking business risks every year that would make Wall Street shutter.

Think of it every year starting out with just land, don't really know what the farm input costs are really going to cost the next year, have no control of the weather and really don't know what the 'finished product' is going be worth but every year, they make it work. Mostly by themselves. To me it's totally remarkable and I stand humbled.

These guys that were in the military, like JD Seller, 75th Rangers 4 tours in Nam. I was in during the tail end of that era. Even being a LT in the 1st Cav. All that training I had only to get knocked out of the box in a stupid training accident in CONUS. My driver fell asleep at the wheel during a night live fire exercise and we hit a tank at about 30 miles an hour. Well a 1/4 ton is no match for a 52 ton tank. God must of been driving because we hit the track and not the front slope. Had we hit the front slope I would not be writing this now.
But my tour of service to all those that were in country, I feel like I did nothing.

The core values folks have on this site for God, Family and Country are second to none.

I really like your picture's from PA and you do far better work, then I can ever hope to accomplish.

In the end the value of a person is not what he has in his wallet, but what he has in his heart.

Maybe I'm getting a little long winded but I guess I had to talk too..

SweetFeet
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 1:41 am    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry,
It is not the "stuff" that one has in their garage, barn or bank that is important in life. We live very modestly. But our stuff is mostly paid off. Our house is not fancy at all and it is actually quite small. Husbands shop is just a little old hog house with a cracked up old floor-but we could not have more fun together if we tried. WHAT IS IMPORTANT is the stuff you have in your heart and your head.

You obviously enjoy spending time with your wife and your daughter. You have a great sense of humor. You love the country. You share produce with others. You seem kind to others. I think you have the "right stuff". Carry on!
SweetFeet

Glenn F.

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 2:02 am    Post subject: Re: why do I like this site ? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Larry,
Many people never leave high school, and I feel sorry for them. Thank you for feeling secure enough in your manhood to express your heart. I think each of us who have come to love this site and the quality people who frequent it will agree with me in saying, "We love ya man".

Glenn F.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
Page 1 of 5

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.