Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Stair Stringer Rise

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:05 pm    Post subject: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

What is a biggest acceptable rise for steps.
3 steps high

Using 2x10s for steps so run will be....
Top step even with deck will be 18.5 inches
Middle and bottom step will be 9.25 inches

Total height is 21 inches but what I want to know is 7 inches the maximum acceptable rise or can I make a short ground to bottom step and use 8 inch rise between steps.

omahagreg
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:08 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

11" on run, 7" MAX on rise. If these are outside, I would use 2-2x6s for the tread, so rain can drain. A solid board usually will cup from water.

dave2

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep in mind.... you ain't gettin any younger..... I'd keep em shallow and not as steep for them sore/stiff knees and hips that are around the corner.....

Bill in IL
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Cant speak to code but somewhere 7-8 inches is what you want. 8 inches is a little steep, 7 is a little low. I would avoid the short step and go 7 inches as will be unnatural to climb a short then long steps.

Scott 730
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:24 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Keep the risers all equal or you will create a tripping hazard. Code only allows 3/8" difference in a run of stairs.

FBH44
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 3:29 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The ICC Code for residential allows risers to range from 4" tall up to 7 3/4" tall. Risers and treads must be within 3/8" of adjacent risers / treads, so there's no tipping hazard. Supposed to have at least one handrail, too.

Jason the Red
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:05 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Code only allows 1/4" on riser difference. It also allows 1/2" on tread depth.

brandon j
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am a carpenter and you can have a max of 3/16 diffrence in rise not 3/8 max of 7 in. in comeral and 8 in. in residancal if you need help my email is open

Vito
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:27 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have 21" height you need 3 risers @ 7" with a total of 2 treads.Why have one even with the top of the deck?

Vito

batractorman
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

NC says Rise + Run should = 18" or 18 1/2"
If you use 7" rise with 9 1/4" treads, you should be right on the money. Might be asking for unwanted trips with first step higher.

David G
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you have the run, add a step and even them out between 6 and 7 inches.

paul
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:03 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Make them all the same, whatever you do. 3 short steps is fine. If you make 2 tall steps I could live with that, probably not to code.

I would curse the one 'short step' every time I used them if done that way...... Not good.

--->Paul

blunosr
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 5:15 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yup, make 'em all the same height (rise). My recollection says the magic number is 66. Rise x run, in inches, should equal 66. I always try to use as close as possible to 7 1/4" rise, and 9" run. Anything greater than 7 1/2" rise will feel steep. Also, be sure to put your step boards on so they will bow downwards (not cup upwards). It seems counter-intuitive, but the heartwood should be at the upper side of the tread. They cup opposite the growth rings. That's because the rings shrink the same amount laterally, and you have a much longer ring on the outside of the tree, so it shrinks more.

I seem to recall that 66 is also the height, in inches, from the closest tread to any overhead obstruction.

Good luck with them, stair building is the mark of a true carpenter.

Troy

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:10 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why have one even with the top of the deck?

Because it allows me to attach the stringer to the face of the rim joist rather than under the porch. I feel it is stronger that way.

john in la
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Stair Stringer Rise Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the advise guys.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tractor Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.