Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

TE 20 Lift Arm Bushing Replacement

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Langus
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 6:15 pm    Post subject: TE 20 Lift Arm Bushing Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

In trying to remove the lift arms from the Hydraulic housing, we were (to say the least) unsuccesfull. We tried pressing the shaft out but we reached a point that we were no longer comfortable with the tension! I know a few of you guys said you had given up on yours. Our bushings are worn but not terribly. The tractor will be retired to only a few tractor rides a year but while we have it apart we want to fix everything that needs so we will not ever have to do it again.
Do any of you have any tricks to getting the lift shaft and bushing out? Is it advisable to take it to the local machine shop and have them press till it gives? Thanks in advance for the help.

Bruce(OR)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 9:19 pm    Post subject: Re: TE 20 Lift Arm Bushing Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

hot wrench, hammer, bearing seperator, Howes penetrating oil, PB Blaster, SeaFoam Deep Creep, Kroil, Once it starts to move it should slide right off the tapered splines. Geting it started is the fun part.

John(UK)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:21 am    Post subject: Re: TE 20 Lift Arm Bushing Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

There is no easy way with these and often the Top Cover will shatter when you apply pressure attempting to push it out. If it is still serviceable, leave it alone. This has always been a problem. We have left them soaking for a couple of weeks in a deep bath of diesel and they still don't come out. In the meantime you could look around for one in better condition.
John(UK)...fergusontractors@hotmail.com

Langus
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:25 am    Post subject: Re: TE 20 Lift Arm Bushing Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the replies. So what I am gathering is that it is very easy! I for sure do not want to shatter the housing and it does still work, the arms just have a little slop in them. Given the fact that it will probably hardly ever have to lift anything very heavy at all (maybe a blade now and then) I am leaning towards fixing everything else and letting the bushings live happily ever after. Thanks for the advice!

Bruce(OR)
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 3:13 pm    Post subject: Re: TE 20 Lift Arm Bushing Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That can be said. I redid mine and welded the hydraulic linkage holes nice and tight again to give the draft control a chance to operate without excessive slop from a 60 year old worn out machine. I believe I am the only person to ever have done that with chunks of carbon rod, if memory serves.

JPFL

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:59 am    Post subject: Re: TE 20 Lift Arm Bushing Replacement Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have good used parts for your Fergie. Jim in FL --No-Advertising-in-Forums

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Harry Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.