Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

M-H 701 baler dates

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sat Oct 13, 2012 10:08 pm    Post subject: M-H 701 baler dates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Can anyone tell me when the Massey Harris 701 pick up baler first went into production? I was watching one being used on TV the other night on a BBC programme called "Wartime Farm" but I hardly think that baler was in production during World War 2, but I am willing to be corrected.

DavidP, South Wales
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 7:01 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 701 baler dates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Roy,
They might be right and wrong. The info that I have been able to find is that the 701 as it was designated in the UK was the same as the No 1 baler in the US. A number of engines were offered, one being a Wisconsin. In the UK the Armstrong Siddely 14-22 proved to be the most popular.
I understand that the 14-22 was introduced in 1945 by A-S from their factory in Leicester.
If introduced in 1945 its very unlikely that it would have had much use by the time VE Day arrived.

The Wartime Farm is a very interesting programme and a valuable insight into those times for us who came along later. You will probably have noticed that at the farm gate where the tractors and manure spreader are parked there is I think, a Fordson E27N fitted with halftracks. I have no idea what make they might be but I somehow doubt that they were produced during actual wartime. I'm guessing that they are more early 50's prior to the arrival of the later Major.
DavidP

Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 10:19 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 701 baler dates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes it is a good programme but the episode where they were making a home brewed a-hem "Mole Drainer" made me chuckle. When I saw what they were going to use for the Mole plough"s leg I thought "Oh this is going to be entertaining!" After they eventually got the thing to go into the ground it had bent like a banana.
Now for my favourite World War 2 anachronism. Watch out for The Howard Rotospreader parked in the barn about 5 minutes into the clip!
Dads Army

Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:01 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 701 baler dates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Having done a bit of research (Google!) The Fordson E27N fitted with Roadless half tracks did not go into production until 1947.

Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 11:28 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 701 baler dates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Roy in UK wrote:
(quoted from post at 12:01:00 10/14/12) Having done a bit of research (Google!) The Fordson E27N fitted with Roadless half tracks did not go into production until 1947.
Another 'almost anachronism' is The Field Marshall did not go into production until June 1945, after VE Day.

Ray UK
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: M-H 701 baler dates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I have tried to find the launch date of the 701 baler and I have not been able to find any more that the fact that the Massey no 1 Baler was launched in the US in 1945 so I tend to agree with DavidP and his thoughts.
Wartime Farm is an interesting series and I suspect that the producers have set out to show us how things were done in the wartime but have used machinery that is as close to the period as they could get.
Ray.

samn40
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:19 pm    Post subject: Re: M-H 701 baler dates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Tramlines in wheat fields are another problem for city reared film producers! LOL
Sam

Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:40 pm    Post subject: Re: M-H 701 baler dates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Yes apparently There is scene in the Roman epic 'Gladiator' showing Russell Crowe stood in a field of barley which exhibits "Multiplus Tramlinicas"

Roy in UK
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 am    Post subject: Re: M-H 701 baler dates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I found out (at last) The 701 was first produced in any quantity in The UK in 1951. During 1950 it was still undergoing evaluation trials before being released.

DavidP, South Wales
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:07 pm    Post subject: Re: M-H 701 baler dates Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hi Roy, yes I had seen that several times. Family getting tired of me pointing it out now!!!!

David

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.