Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

New 861

View previous topic :: View next topic  
DD in WA
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 4:53 pm    Post subject: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks to everyone who offered up some advice on what to be watching for when I went to look at an 861 I was intersted in buying. Long story short I did buy it for $3,000 and will pick it up next weekend. Per the SN it is a "59 and still is a 6 volt system. All guages and lights work, no popping out of gear issues with the tranny, two stage clutch operates fine as does the 3pt lift. Starts right up and runs very smooth. Tin is in pretty good shape with no dents and only minor rust (with exception of a spot on the dog leg. Only possible issue I see at this point is some rusting around the stems on the rims which appears to be just surface rust but the tires are calcium filled so I"m a bit concerned about that. On stem is leaking a little so I"ll have to figure out how to deal with that. All in all pretty excited having this to hay with instead of (or in addition to) my "52 8N which I"ve used for haying for the past dozen years.

Jimmyjack
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:07 pm    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

They like to suck gas, but are the real deal. You will never miss the Ns.

fordtractorpro
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Sun Oct 14, 2012 5:28 pm    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Suck fuel ??? I have never had one that did that.
My 1960 861 is easy on fuel. You want something that sucks fuel. Use a kubota l245dt that thing used fuel like a fish does water.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:31 am    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

i have an a850 with a zenith and it's a ful hog. most of my marvel-s carbs aren't I do have 1 cheater though. i have a 950 I mow with.. and stuck a naa carb on it.. Smile lil custom work on it.. Smile

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:32 am    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

almost look like 24" rims that someone welded the 28 " center into after cutting down. is it?

I have a 2000 like that.

ont he stems that leak.. if it's the larger part or the core.. most are replaceable..

NoNewParts
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:40 am    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

nice
like said, 800's are powerful beasts
loaded tires or wheel weights and they are hard to stop.
Your N is going to feel like a lawn tractor after
you've been on this one awhile!

showcrop
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:53 am    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

My 901 likes it's gas. When I used it to rake hay it always took five gallons. when I switched over to my diesel I had to fill it just twice per season.

Tony Jacobs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:00 am    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Chris , There was a Forkilft manufacturer(forget the name now) that made those type of rims for their machines , they seem to show up often on the Fords , and just like you said a 24" rim with a 28" center all welded as one piece , usually comes out to a 80" width outside of the tires . Thanks Tony

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:21 am    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

good looking jobs too.

i have a 2000 4 cyl with a set like that. welding looks perfect.. and I measured the rim to check to see if it was centered, concentric and the dish was true and it was as true and accurate as far as my measuring stick could determine.

Tony Jacobs
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:48 am    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hello Chris , I think it was a Canadian company that bought out Warner-Swazey that built the rims , now that I think of it W-S may have made the rims on the later 3 cyl. Ford Forklift conversions too . Thanks Tony

Jim.UT
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:55 am    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

That will be nice! Just put the hay rake on the 8N and leave it there. Use the 861 for all the hard work. Then you won't have to swap equipment back and forth.

souNdguy
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:08 am    Post subject: Re: New 861 Reply to specific post Reply with quote

as good as the rims look.. I'd almost figure they were cut and welded on a jig. IE.. not torched by hand and welded, eyeing it up.. etc..

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Ford All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.