Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Ford 532 Baler Disaster

Goto page 1, 2  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Nathan Skipper
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:08 am    Post subject: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I recently purchased a Ford 532 Square baler that supposedly missed a knot on the LH "some of the time". Turns out, it missed a knot every time. I got in and worked with it and got it tying perfect on the LH side, only to then have trouble with the RH not pulling the knot off. Long story short, tightened everything down and then the RH Cam Gear broke off. I know my hay crop is shot for the year, so now I have all winter to find a RH Cam gear. Turns out after calling two different dealers that the part is no longer available. So, I thought I would ask here if anyone knows of a second-hand parts shop that I can order this part from, or does anyone have a used RH Cam Gear on a dead baler that I can buy from them?

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:09 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Watch the consignment sales...

You might also be able to braze this one or weld it with a Sodel 35 rod if you're into that. Depending on how or where it broke would make up my mind on how I repaired it. If the repair needs to be machined flat I'd probably weld it with the Sodel 35 rod. If there's room to allow a weld bead to pass with a lot of buildup I'd probably braze it...

Rod

Nathan Skipper
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:36 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Unfortunately, I'm not at all familiar with welding. I wish I was. Also, it broke right at the axle, and it would probably be better to describe it as shattered. I've been hunting down salvage yards and used parts warehouses, but I haven't had much luck yet.

This may be a completely batty idea, but could a cam gear kit from another baler (say a NH baler from the same era) work in its place?

Dusty MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Why did it break ?

wisbaker
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:46 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

A lot of different information on this baler out there. Some claim it's a New Holland baler, others say it was made by New Idea, other information says it was designed by Long and Ford had someone build it under license until Ford bought the production rights outright. More than one post claims that the knotters are the same as a John Deere 14T or 24T. Since you're out of the hay business for the year I think I'd look at John Deere and New Holland knotter parts and see if there is any truth and if the JD or NH parts are close enough to be made to work. Watch E-bay and Craig's list, there is one on Craig's list for sale near Wausau Wisconsin.

Nathan Skipper
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 10:50 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I really don't know why it broke, other than it was worn out. Maybe it was something I did. There was a lot of distance between the pinion and the cam gear and it was causing the pinion to miss and get stuck on the return so that it would no longer turn. So, I tightened the stack using the adjusting nut. There was still some play in the pinion, so I don't know if the cam was already weak or what. The LH cam seems solid as a rock.

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:55 am    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The NH part may fit... but probably not. The critical parts like the bill hooks ARE the same... but once you deviate out further in the larger parts the design is different.
What you can do is go to NH online parts and look up what you need. Then take that number and plug it into Messicks parts online and see if it supercedes to something else. If it does, keep following it and see if it's available or what it fits.
A NH dealer can also plug the part # into PAL and see what else it fits besides that baler.
They may also be able to still do a parts broadcast requesting any other dealers with NOS on the shelf to fill your part order if they wish. They used to have that feature anyhow... unless that's been done away with.

As far as the shattered part... if you can find the crumbs sometimes Humpty can be put back together. You just need the critical stuff to get the angle right. Cast usually breaks pretty clean without distorting so as long as you can jig it the way it needs to be set and hold it... someone with cast experience can probably weld it.

I don't know of any wreckers that would bother keeping a baler like that in the yard. You could try Fawcett tractor. They might also steer you to someone who does wreck that stuff.
I find that every year or so I see a 532 or 542 in the junk sale. I've yet to drag one home... The last one was kinda nice and went for over 650 which I thought was a bit dear for a parts haul... that I'd have had to float home because it had junk tires.

Rod

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:01 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Deere, Ford, NewHolland, NewIdea and Hesston all used the same basic Deering knotter ~licence~. I've got a Ford 532. I've got a Deere 327. They tie using the same concept. That IS NOT to say that the parts interchange. They don't. Not even mabey. Not a little bit, at all. For whatever reason the 532 DOES use the same bill hook as the NH 273, IIRC. I know it crosses to one of them of that vintage because I stumbled on that info when I needed hooks for mine.
The main differences with the Ford and others are the drive style and layout of the trip mechanism and needle brakes...

Rod

Nathan Skipper
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks for the response... very helpful. I think I might have lucked up... but I will know for certain after work. I just found out that a friend of a friend has some old ford baler parts, and he actually has a whole knotter assembly. I sure hope it works out.

If it doesn't, I will definitely try your idea of tracing down the part number on messicks and contacting Fawcetts. I tried ordering the part from Messicks, which is how I came to know that it is discontinued. But, they haven't responded to my question about cross-matching parts. Maybe they will, though.

It is strange how this stuff is both irritating but fun at the same time. Irritating, that I bought equipment that broke and have crop wasting on the ground, yet fun in the inventive and investigative sense. Or maybe I'm just masochistic.

mazemeister
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:37 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

on why did it break: probably the most important question. i had a knotter cam gear break on my JD 224T. When it went through a tying cycle, the knotter gear and the twine disk pinion would try to force each other apart. after scratching my head a little while, i replaced the twine disk pinion and that solved the problem. the old one showed a little wear, but it didn't look too bad. turns out it was. so if you find a replacement gear, i'd sure look into that pinion also. probably the same thing would happen with the billhook pinion if that wears.

GordoSD
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 4:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

How big a hay crop we talking here? Dollars worth? If it is over 1000 small bales I would scrap that thing, get a good NH and don't look back. Only one guy in 40 is using s Ford baler. Maybe 1:70?
I do xxx thousand SSB's at 3-4$ apiece and I am not goint to let them get rained on while I shop for baler parts.
Even if you do get it running it is a time bomb. Cut your losses.

retired farmer
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:12 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You might want to pull the knotter completely apart and check the main shaft. I had a 542 years ago that wouldn't tie all the time. I fought it for several years until I finally took it apart and accidentally discovered the main shaft had a slight bend in it. Got new shaft in and it never missed a bale after that.

redtom
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 5:52 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Funny, I just clicked on Craigslist for my nightly check and theres a 532 on there for $600. Says his son tore the knotters apart and he doesn't know how to reassemble. In michigan.

Nathan Skipper
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Good point. While I have the knotter apart, I"ll check that. Thanks.

Nathan Skipper
New User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 6:16 pm    Post subject: Re: Ford 532 Baler Disaster Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Very small operation. I've got about 3 acres that I plan to bale. Got another 3 that I want to add.

My first reaction (in rage) was to scrap it and start again, but since the season is done for me, I might as well take the time to at least try and fix it. If you find a craigslist posting for a 532 in Lower Alabama (LA), you will know what happened.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.