Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well??

Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next

View previous topic :: View next topic  
RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:10 am    Post subject: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I am looking at this compressor on sale at Sears. Will it be a good one to start out with. I do normal chores like airing up tires, working on riding mower, maybe a small Farmall Cub from time to time. I MIGHT do some painting with it....but probably not.

Will this compressor be a good fit?? I like it because I might not live in this house forever and all I have is the attached garage.

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:11 am    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here are the Specs on it. I really don't know what all that means and what to look for, so that's why I'm asking all of you experts!

THANKS!

old
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:21 am    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

From what I see for what you want it is over kill but then that is good because I can tell you for sure if you have one you want it to do a lot more then you think you will want it to do. Since it has enough gut to run an impact then it is good enough to do all you want and then some

Dalex
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:34 am    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It will work , but those Oil less compressors are really noisey. You wont be able to talk in the same room with it . If you can isolate it in a closet or better yet in an outdoors enclosure it will be acceptible. They don't last near as long as a oil lubed compressor , but for infrequent use you'll get by with it . See if they will demonstrate one in the store for you !!

DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:43 am    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shop for compressors, by knowing what the CFM (cubic feet per
minute), that the tools you have, or intend to purchase, use. If you
look at the specs of the tool, it will tell you what CFM required. Air
nailers, and impact wrenches are usually the big consumers of air
power. Once you know that, if your shop is a one man show, you
know about what you need in compressor output. If you have
multiple tools being used at the same time, then the picture would
change.

Dusty MI
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:49 am    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I'll bet it's NOT a true 1.5 hp. It doesn't give the load/amps.

Dusty

Grampy
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:21 am    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Will be LOUD !! Had once once, parted with it fast as I could. Ken

RodinNS
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:46 am    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

If you do much of anything with a compressor you'll want something that makes 12-15 cfm @ 90 psi with a maximum of at least 125 psi... and an oil lubed pump. They generally call those about a 5 hp compressor. Mine is also a portable type rather than a standup. That works OK for me because I hide it under the work bench...
I can also take it if I need it elsewhere.
It'll be a bunch more money but somehting that will outlast you more than likely. One of my neighbours has had probably 5 of those small lube free compressors in the time I've had mine and does less with it.... They're junk as far as I'm concerned.

Rod

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 11:49 am    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

I've had a 30gal from Sears for probably 15 years or more, the horizontal one, not the stand up. Yup it's noisy........I mean REALLY noisy! It is good enough for day to day stuff but for running a larger impact or doing anything like sandblasting or painting it's not enough. It runs constantly when sandblasting and doesn't have enough oomph. It's too big to lug around and too small for some of the bigger stuff.

evilboweivel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:59 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

it would be a good one to start out with
the other guys have a lot of good points
HOWEVER they all cost 4-8 times the price of this one
this one is cheap enough that if you reealy use it enough down the road you will get rid of it due to too loud, too small, etc. At that time put it on Craigslist for $125 snd move onto a much nicer unit for 900 to 2500.
bought a compressor back in 1981 it is oiless 1 hp and done a lot with it. still in the garage and still use it to air tires up. I turn it on and walk away while it is pumping up.
Good luck
Ron

RTR
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:13 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Ron. I basically wanted to know if it would run at least the 1/2 in. drive impact gun and acutally break rusty bolts loose with it instead of running the gun and working properly on NEW stuff. Also, like I said before.....I MIGHT be doing some painting with it with a HVLP gun, or I MIGHT hook it to a sandblast cabinet......only if It would work properly.

Inno
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:39 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

For that price you should be fine. It will run a 1/2" impact. I run a 3/4" impact with mine and it will knock most things loose but I could benefit from a larger diameter hose, I only run 1/4" line.
Mine has been good enough for 15 or so years and just in the past 1-2 years have I thought about an upgrade.

evilboweviel
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:41 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

you won"t break rusty bolts loose with a cheap impact, figure $250 to $400 for a impact strong enough to do that. that compressor will have enough power for most minor things. for real strong power and run time then 2 stage running 175psi and 15scfm or more, like I said big $$$
my hvlp is a stand alone unit so no experience howevever size the gun to your compressor until you realy want a big unit then lay out the big $$$
good luck
Ron

Pops1532
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 2:45 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Shop around for a good used compressor. A real one, not a toy like the one pictured. Like someone posted...it's too big to be portable and too small for serious work. Whatever size compressor you think you can get by with now won't be big enough later. Instead of throwing money away on a "starter" compressor just buy a good one to start with. Watch commercial and industrial auction listings. With so many businesses closing there are deals to be had.

huntingreen2day2
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Mon Oct 15, 2012 3:21 pm    Post subject: Re: Good Starter Compressor?-What tools will it Run Well?? Reply to specific post Reply with quote

It took me 4 to get to the size I have now. 7.5 HP
IR but i got a heck of a deal on it.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Goto page 1, 2, 3  Next
Page 1 of 3

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.