Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

Seeing Doubles :(

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lanse
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 7:39 am    Post subject: Seeing Doubles :( Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Hey guys!!

So, at first this was just a problem I had when using my Jackson Halo X hood with Jackson AD lens, I would see the real puddle, then another one below it, and it got to be irritating for me...

Tonight I tried another hood of mine, my backup hood, with just an 11 or 12 or so green (cheap) lens in it. I started welding and saw TRIPLES with that (main puddle, and two below it. Like a weird triangle). Needless to say I put that down pretty quick and went for my old AD hood, a cheapie Metalman one. Didn't see any multiples with that, but I decided to try my last hood, another jackson flip hood with a gold shade 10 lens. Again, no multiples.

Another thing to note, is that I only seem to see multiples with larger lenses, both of the first hoods were "big picture" while the last two were the smaller lens size, ya know, the size of lens you'd put in a pair of burning goggles. It should also be noted, that when I see multiples, they're much lower quality images than the "real" one.

Anyone else have this problem? I have exceptional vision (better than 20/20) but Im actually pretty worried about this. My best guess is that:

1) Its some kind of weird reflection issue, between the colored lens and the clear one(s).
2) Im going to die or something. lol.

Any thoughts are highly appreciated.

My (light blue) eyes are pretty sensitive, and Im tired of being flashed by my Jackson hood, and Im seriously thinking of selling it and getting a "nice" gold lens, or a few of them in different shades.

Who makes a nice gold lens? Who makes the "best" gold lens you can get. Im happy to spend money to protect my eyes.

Thanks in advance...

Puddles
Tractor Expert

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 8:06 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing Doubles :( Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Lanse this is the way I load my hood.
Clear plastic lens out front, gasket, colored lens, and clear glass lens. You might try all clear glass lenses, no plastic at all!
I really like my ArcOne auto lens, it's 2x4 1/4 so it fits my old school hoods.

These people have the clearest lenses I've seen in years!

http://www.phillips-safety.com/store/index.php?cPath=41_66&osCsid=ke0kv3n9fssi4vbc7qls2i2166

glennster
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:46 am    Post subject: Re: Seeing Doubles :( Reply to specific post Reply with quote

lanse, i use the small gold lenses on a flip up jackson. the auto dark hoods give me bad headaches after welding a while. i'd suggest paying yer eye doctor a visit, bring the welding hoods with you so he can see what kind they are. it could be just reflections from your lenses, but better to be safe than sorry.

36 Coupe
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 3:28 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing Doubles :( Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Ive found that plastic lens can transmit light inside a helmet thru the edges.Ive used a black marker on the edges of the plates.I have not done any welding this year.Mayby some one who is welding steady can study the effect.

DiyDave
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 4:48 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing Doubles :( Reply to specific post Reply with quote

You better stop, or you'll go blind, LOL!

Stick welding

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 9:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Seeing Doubles :( Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Glass cover plates will help (bad for spatter build up)but have you done a lot of MIG welding with your helmets? I have found that MIG, especially, leaves a film on the plastic cover plates that you don't really notice until you weld and it really distorts your vision. Also there are more than one type of the standard size plastic cover plates. Look for CR 39 cover plates, they are the better ones.

Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Tool Talk All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.