Yesterday's Tractor Co. Parts for Farm Tractors - Compare our Prices!
Click Here or call 800-853-2651 
   Allis Chalmers Case Farmall IH Ford 9N,2N,8N Ford
   Ferguson John Deere Massey Ferguson Minn. Moline Oliver
 FAQFAQ   SearchSearch   MemberlistMemberlist   UsergroupsUsergroups   Traditional YT Forum ViewClassic View   RegisterRegister 
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in 

FE-35 Alternator connection

View previous topic :: View next topic  
Alan Gallant
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 2:23 pm    Post subject: FE-35 Alternator connection Reply to specific post Reply with quote

The ignition switch, wiring and other stuff were cobled together. I replaced some wiring. Removed the push button(which cranked the starter) and key which fire up the glow plugs.

Delemma... the new switch does not have as many connection as the last and does not stay on. The new switch has glow plugs when I turn it right, starter and glow plugs when I turn it left.

The delco alternator has 3 wires. How do I hook it up? Also there is an ampmeter. Do I need another switch to rub the alternator ?

Thanks
Alan

Tony in Mass.
Tractor Guru

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Tue Oct 16, 2012 5:39 pm    Post subject: Re: FE-35 Alternator connection Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Since it's a diesel, don't expect the switch to be like a gas model. Your new switch does what it is suppose to, glow plug preheat position in one direction, and crank the starter, in either direction? That's what mine does.
I believe your lights will work off a separate switch just for them, off the battery / generator circut. My MF35 has this on the left. No 'key' to secure for kids or the night etc. And my Lucas generator has only two wires.
Some one here will be able to show a wiring diagram for you, or see if there is one on the FENA website, should be one there for diesels.

Alan Gallant
Regular

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 4:12 am    Post subject: Re: FE-35 Alternator connection Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Thanks Tony. I have a standard diesel, so I have watched with great interest at your posts. Most interesting. I rebuilt mine and it runs great. I realize that the gas and diesel will operate differently. My interest is how to set up the electrical / ignition switch to work with a 3 wire alternator. Can this be done or do I need a second switch to make the alternator work. I'm totally in the dark on this so any suggestions are appreciated. Most of the existing wiring diagrams show a generator so that not much help for a electrically challenged individual like myself.

thanks
Alan

Chip812
Long Time User

Report to Moderator

PostPosted: Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:50 am    Post subject: Re: FE-35 Alternator connection Reply to specific post Reply with quote

Here's a picture that shows how to wire up an internal regulated GM alternator:

Last edited by Chip812 on Wed Oct 17, 2012 6:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Post new topic    Yesterday's Tractors Forum Index -> Massey Harris & Massey Ferguson All times are GMT - 8 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to:  
TRACTOR   PARTS TRACTOR   MANUALS
Same-Day Shipping! Most of our stocked parts ship the same day you order (M-F).  Expedited shipping available, just call!  Most prices for parts and manuals are below our competitors.  Compare our super low shipping rates!  We have the parts you need to repair your tractor.  We are a Company you can trust and have generous return policies!   Shop Online Today or call our friendly sales staff toll free (800) 853-2651.

YT Home  |  Forums Home

Copyright © 1997-2014 Yesterday's Tractor Co.